Physics 12 Kinematics Question

In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling off a 12.5m building with a speed of 3.4m/s. To determine the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground, we need to consider its vertical motion and use the equation V = V0 + at, where the final velocity (V) is zero and the acceleration (a) is due to gravity. Therefore, the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground is 1.56 seconds. To find the range from the base of the building, we need to consider the horizontal motion of the ball.
jameo15
Physics 12 Kinematics Question.. Please Help!

Homework Statement

A ball rolls off the top of a 12.5m building with a speed of 3.4m/s. How long does it take to hit the ground? What is the range from the base of the building?

Homework Equations

V = V0 + at
V2=V02 + 2ad
Avg V = (V = V0) /2
d = V0 + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've got was a sketch drawn.. Please help me. Well I timed 12.5 by 3.4 to get how long it took to hit the ground but I'm not sure if it is right. I'm guessing to find the range you must need an angle of some sort?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

jameo15 said:

Homework Statement

A ball rolls off the top of a 12.5m building with a speed of 3.4m/s. How long does it take to hit the ground? What is the range from the base of the building?

Homework Equations

V = V0 + at
V2=V02 + 2ad
Avg V = (V = V0) /2
d = V0 + 1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've got was a sketch drawn.. Please help me. Well I timed 12.5 by 3.4 to get how long it took to hit the ground but I'm not sure if it is right. I'm guessing to find the range you must need an angle of some sort?
Welcome to PF jameo15,

You need to consider the horizontal and vertical components of motion separately. When the ball rolls off the building, just at the point where it leaves the surface, what is it's vertical speed?

Would it's vertical speed be the acceleration due to gravity? But at the point where it leaves the surface, it should be zero right?

jameo15 said:
Would it's vertical speed be the acceleration due to gravity?
No, but that would be it's acceleration.
jameo15 said:
But at the point where it leaves the surface, it should be zero right?
Correct. So using this information, can you determine how long it takes to hit the ground (just considering vertical motion).

Related to Physics 12 Kinematics Question

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without consideration of the forces that cause the motion.

2. What does "Physics 12" mean?

"Physics 12" refers to the 12th grade level of high school physics education, typically taken by students in their final year of high school.

3. What are some common topics covered in a Physics 12 Kinematics course?

Some common topics covered in a Physics 12 Kinematics course include displacement, velocity, acceleration, motion graphs, and projectile motion.

4. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics focuses on the motion of objects, while dynamics takes into account the forces that cause the motion.

5. Can kinematics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the velocity of a car, the acceleration of a roller coaster, or the displacement of a ball thrown into the air.