High school physics problem involving a spring slingshot

In summary, Brian tried to find the velocity of the spring using different kinematic equations, but was unsuccessful. He then expressed the speed as a function of the unknown variable x (the initial spring extension). From there, obtain the distance as a function of x, and see what x gives the desired distance.
Kailford

Homework Statement

For a grade 12 physics project we have to stretch a spring along an inclined plane and then let go so that it hits a target. I know the mass of the spring, the angle of the incline, the height of the incline (how high the front of the spring would be off the ground before launching) the spring constant, and the distance from the target. Using this information, I need to figure out how much to stretch the spring to hit the target. How do I do this?

Homework Equations

Es = (1/2)kx^2
Eg = mgh
Ek = 1/2mv^2
Fs = kx
Fnet = ma
d = 1/2(v1 + v2)t
v2 = v1 + at
d = v1t + (1/2)at^2
d = v2t - (1/2)at^2
v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried splitting the spring force into x and y components and then using that to find the acceleration, but that simple results in 2 variables (the acceleration and the amount the spring needs to be stretched). I have also tried using the different kinematic equations to try and find the velocity so that I can use it to find x by setting (1/2)kx^2 equal to (1/2)mv^2, but all of those equations either have v, t, or both as variables, and I am unable to solve for those.

Physics news on Phys.org
The steps you're doing seem okay, you just need more info. You could try figuring out the initial velocity by seeing how much work the spring does up until the point of release (and then applying the work KE thm)

Brian T said:
The steps you're doing seem okay, you just need more info. You could try figuring out the initial velocity by seeing how much work the spring does up until the point of release (and then applying the work KE thm)
Thanks Brian! I am at a loss as to how I would do that, though. As far as I know I need to know how much the spring is stretched to determine the work of the spring before release, but the stretch of the spring is one of my variables.

Kailford said:
Thanks Brian! I am at a loss as to how I would do that, though. As far as I know I need to know how much the spring is stretched to determine the work of the spring before release, but the stretch of the spring is one of my variables.
You can follow that line, expressing the speed as a function of the unknown variable x (the initial spring extension). From there, obtain the distance as a function of x, and see what x gives the desired distance.
Kailford said:
I have also tried using the different kinematic equations to try and find the velocity
That's the way I'd do it, working backwards. Remember you can write kinematic (SUVAT) equations for vertical and horizontal. They share the time variable, so you can eliminate that between them. That should give you enough information.
The trick with SUVAT equations is to pick the one that involves the four variables of interest. Since you need to set the times equal, you'll want t involved in each. Post some attempt.

Related to High school physics problem involving a spring slingshot

1. How does a spring slingshot work?

A spring slingshot works by using the elastic potential energy stored in a stretched spring to launch a projectile. The spring is pulled back, storing potential energy, and when released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the projectile forward.

2. What factors affect the distance a projectile travels in a spring slingshot?

The distance a projectile travels in a spring slingshot is affected by the force applied to the spring, the distance the spring is stretched, and the mass of the projectile. The more force applied and the farther the spring is stretched, the greater the distance the projectile will travel. Increasing the mass of the projectile will decrease the distance it travels.

3. How is the force of a spring slingshot calculated?

The force of a spring slingshot can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched. The formula is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched.

4. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the force of a spring slingshot?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and is directly related to the force it exerts. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will exert a greater force when stretched. This results in a greater launch velocity for the projectile in a spring slingshot.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile in a spring slingshot?

Air resistance can significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile in a spring slingshot. As the projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force opposite to its direction of motion, which causes it to slow down. This means that the projectile will not travel as far as it would without air resistance. The shape and size of the projectile can also affect the amount of air resistance it experiences.