Physics Kinematics Homework Help ?

In summary: But please do not do this in the future. It is not helping the student learn.In summary, the problem involves two stones being dropped from a bridge with different initial velocities. The goal is to find the initial velocity of the second stone so that it reaches the ground at the same time as the first stone. This can be solved by setting the times equal to each other and using the equation x = v0*t + (1/2)*a*t^2. However, there is an easier method which involves solving for the time of the first stone and then plugging that time into the equation for the second stone. The final answer for the initial velocity of the second stone is 2.06 m/s. The original
jayjay55531
Physics Kinematics Homework Help!?

"While standing on a bridge 18.3 m above the ground, you drop a stone from rest. When the stone has fallen 2.50 m, you throw a second stone straight down. What initial velocity must you give the second stone if they are both to reach the ground at the same instant? Take the downward direction to be the negative direction."

After finding the velocity of the first stone (AFTER falling 2.50 m) to be -7m/s, I tried to solve for initial velocity of the second stone by setting the times equal to each other (displacement for the first stone being 15.8, and for the second stone 18.3).

I used the equation x = v0*t + (1/2)*a*t2
and of course I got an ugly quadratic-equationey mess trying to get t on one side. There has to be an easier way to do this...

Physics news on Phys.org

I would suggest solving for t for the first stone since you know it's initial velocity is 0 and its acceleration is -g. Whatever you get for that time, plug it into the equation for the second stone. Then, solve the second equation for the initial velocity.

Hi, I tried to do this question as an exercise. Is the answer 2.06 m/s?

First, I find the time taken for the first stone to fall down 2.5m.

2.5 = (0)t + 1/2 (9.8) t^2
t= 0.71s

Then I find the total time for the stone to reach the ground.

18.3 = (0)t + 1/2 (9.8) t^2
t= 1.93s

The time left for the second stone to catch up is 1.93 - 0.71 = 1.22s

By using s = ut + 1/2 at^2,

18.3 = u(1.22) + 1/2 (9.8) (1.22)^2

u= 2.06m/s.

Correct?

coconut62 said:
Hi, I tried to do this question as an exercise. Is the answer 2.06 m/s?

First, I find the time taken for the first stone to fall down 2.5m.

2.5 = (0)t + 1/2 (9.8) t^2
t= 0.71s

Then I find the total time for the stone to reach the ground.

18.3 = (0)t + 1/2 (9.8) t^2
t= 1.93s

The time left for the second stone to catch up is 1.93 - 0.71 = 1.22s

By using s = ut + 1/2 at^2,

18.3 = u(1.22) + 1/2 (9.8) (1.22)^2

u= 2.06m/s.

Correct?

Please note that we do not do other students' work for them here at the PF. Normally your post would be deleted for showing the solution, but since it has been 2 weeks since the original post (OP), I'll leave it visible.

I would suggest using the kinematic equation v^2 = v0^2 + 2ax to solve for the initial velocity of the second stone. This equation relates the final velocity (v) to the initial velocity (v0), acceleration (a), and displacement (x). In this case, the final velocity is 0 m/s since both stones will hit the ground at the same instant. The acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2 due to gravity, and the displacement for the second stone is 18.3 m. By plugging in these values, we can solve for the initial velocity of the second stone, which turns out to be approximately -13.6 m/s. This means that the second stone must be thrown with an initial velocity of -13.6 m/s in order to hit the ground at the same time as the first stone.

Related to Physics Kinematics Homework Help ?

1. What is Kinematics in Physics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects as they move through space and time.

2. How is Kinematics related to other branches of Physics?

Kinematics is closely related to other branches of physics such as mechanics, dynamics, and thermodynamics. It provides the foundation for understanding the motion of objects, which is essential in these other branches of physics.

3. What are the basic concepts in Kinematics?

The basic concepts in Kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, time, and position. These concepts help us to describe and analyze the motion of objects in a precise and quantitative manner.

4. What are the equations used in Kinematics?

The most commonly used equations in Kinematics are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in terms of time. These equations are derived from the basic concepts of Kinematics.

5. How can I solve Kinematics problems?

To solve Kinematics problems, you need to identify the given information, determine the unknown variables, and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given scenario.