Philosophy of Love: Examining Ancient Theory

• Thread starter Harmony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary: He also believed that love was an essential part of the human experience and necessary for personal happiness and fulfillment.In summary, the statements made by the friend are false. There were philosophers in ancient times, besides Socrates, who were married, and there have been proper philosophical theories on love. Examples include Aristotle's own thoughts on love, Erich Fromm's work on the subject, and various articles and discussions found in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy and Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Additionally, a simple Google search for "Philosophy of Love" will yield many other exceptions to the friend's statements.
Harmony
I don't post this topic under philosophy forums because there's no philosophical discussion involved.

I and my friend often have discussion on some philosophy topic, and he made the following statement.

1. No philosophers in the ancient times, besides Socrates, has get married.
2. There have been no proper philosophy theory on love.

I don't have any background in philosophy, but I doubt his statements. Can anyone verify the accuracy/flaws of the statements?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to this, Aristotle's will asked that he be buried next to his wife. The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy has an article on the philosophy of love, so does the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy here. The theory even has words used by the Greeks who discussed love philosophically.

Harmony said:
1. No philosophers in the ancient times, besides Socrates, has get married.
2. There have been no proper philosophy theory on love.
Both statements are false, and AKG has given an exception to each statement.

The concept of marriage is different now that it was 2000+ years ago.

Another exception to 2, is Erich Fromm's work on the subject of Love.

and here's another exception to 2.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/l/love.htm

and yet another
http://depts.washington.edu/ctltstaf/example_portfolios/peterson/pages/88351.html

In fact search Google with "Philosophy of Love" and find many exceptions. :rolleyes:

Didn't Aristotle talk about love himself?

He said a true friend (you can argue he meant loved one) was someone you would want to spend many moments with and not go too long without communicating and/or being in the presence of your true friend.

Aristotle himself throws both of those comments in the water.

I favour Harlan Ellison's philosophy regarding the matter: "Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled". :biggrin:

Aristotle definitely discussed love, though from what I remember from my Ethics course, his definition of things such as friendship and love were somewhat different from the modern definitions.

Related to Philosophy of Love: Examining Ancient Theory

1. What is the definition of love according to ancient philosophical theories?

The definition of love varies among different ancient philosophical theories. However, most of them agree that love is a deep emotional attachment and connection between two individuals. It involves feelings of affection, care, and admiration for the other person.

2. How did ancient philosophers view the role of love in human life?

Ancient philosophers believed that love plays a crucial role in human life, not just in terms of romantic relationships, but also in friendships and other social connections. They saw love as a source of happiness, fulfillment, and personal growth.

3. What are the different types of love discussed in ancient philosophy?

Ancient philosophers recognized various types of love, including eros (romantic love), philia (friendship love), storge (familial love), and agape (unconditional love). Each type has its own characteristics and significance in human relationships.

4. How did ancient philosophers explain the origin of love?

According to ancient philosophers, love is not just a human emotion but has a deeper metaphysical origin. Some believed that love originated from the gods, while others saw it as a fundamental force of nature that binds all things together.

5. How can the study of ancient philosophical theories on love benefit us in modern times?

The study of ancient philosophical theories on love can help us understand and reflect on the complexities of love and relationships. It can also provide insights and guidance on how to cultivate and maintain healthy, fulfilling relationships in our modern world.