Do you agree with Stephen Hawking when say Philosophy is dead ?

In summary, the discussion revolves around Stephen Hawking's statement that "Philosophy is dead" and whether or not it is true. Some argue that Hawking may be referring to traditional philosophy that deals with unsolvable problems, while others point out that modern analytical philosophy is well-versed in science. It is also questioned whether Hawking himself is not doing philosophy when he speculates about reality in his popular science books. Overall, the question of what is considered 'philosophy' in this context remains a topic of debate.
circularsquar
Do you agree with Stephen Hawking when say "Philosophy is dead" ?

*I would have posted it in the philosophy sub-forum , but I thought the material might not meet the guidelines . The content of this thread would fit a general and informal discussion more , I thought. Please move it to any sub-forum where this topic fits if it doesn't belong to the general discussion forum. Please bear with a newcomer and do reply in this thread :smile:. If a similar topic exists I would be glad to be redirected to it via a link*

Hello friends , most of you may have heard Stephen Hawking put forth the proposition that "Philosophy is dead and that Science is the modern torch-bearer of knowledge" . He says that philosophy has failed to keep with modern science.
Do you agree ?

Is there a confusion over what is meant by 'Philosophy' here ?

I personally think Hawking is referring to a traditional kind of philosophy here which used to deal with unsolvable problems such as realism/idealism , mind-body dualism , and which sometimes tended to be theological. In that case he maybe right in a sense.

But why is he not considering the schools of Philosophy such as logical positivism or modern analytical philosophy . Aren't these philosophers well versed with science ? Does Stephen Hawking also include philosophers such as W V O Quine , Bertrand Russell , Hilary Putnam, Karl Popper in the list of those philosophers who haven't kept up with science?
And most importantly when he is writing popular science books and doing speculations over reality , isn't he doing 'philosophy' ? For I used to think the job of science does not include interpretation, and as soon as one gets into interpretations one enters the 'philosophy of science' .

*Sorry for the grammatical error in title of thread , noticed it now.:cry: *

Physics news on Phys.org

It's not because you don't post it in philosophy that you don't need to abide by its guidelines.

1. Do scientists actually believe that philosophy is dead?

This is a controversial topic among scientists, as some agree with Hawking's statement while others do not. It ultimately depends on one's interpretation of what "philosophy" encompasses and its role in the scientific community.

2. What did Stephen Hawking mean when he said philosophy is dead?

Hawking believed that philosophy has failed to keep up with the advances in science and technology, and therefore has become irrelevant in explaining the mysteries of the universe. He argued that science and reason should be the primary tools for understanding the world around us.

3. Is philosophy useful in the scientific method?

While some may argue that philosophy is not necessary in the scientific method, others believe that it can provide valuable insights and critical thinking skills that can aid in the pursuit of scientific knowledge. Additionally, ethical considerations and the implications of scientific discoveries often require philosophical reflection.

4. Can philosophy and science coexist?

Many scientists and philosophers believe that there is no conflict between philosophy and science, as they both seek to understand the world and our place in it. In fact, some argue that a combination of the two disciplines can lead to a more complete and accurate understanding of reality.

5. Is philosophy still relevant in modern society?

Despite Hawking's statement, philosophy remains a vital part of society and has contributed to advancements in fields such as ethics, politics, and psychology. Philosophical discussions and debates continue to shape our understanding of the world and our place in it.