Philosophy and Physics: Am I a loser?

In summary, The conversation discusses the role of philosophy in the scientific community and whether it is considered useful or not. While some argue that philosophy is not necessary for good science, others believe that it helps in developing critical thinking skills and understanding the bigger picture. There is also a discussion on the importance of a well-rounded education, including subjects like philosophy, history, and language. However, some argue that discussing philosophy online can lead to unnecessary conflict and therefore should be avoided.
stofferjj
Hello.

I recently joined this forum, so forgive me if I am totally wrong.

I was looking around the different boards, and I was really enjoying what I was seeing. This seems like a wonderful place to learn more about physics and mathematics.

But then I saw this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=669066.

I understand that this is a physics board, and that most of you, like most people, probably think that philosophy is dead, or useless. If this is the case, what aspects of it do you hate?

I realize that in itself, philosophy is not very productive or useful. But I will never say that it is a useless subject to study. I have learned many things from being a phil major, and I think that it has helped me with my physics studies. The ability to think critically is very important in science, and I believe that philosophy has helped me with this greatly.

What are your thoughts on this?
Is philosophy useless?

Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoy philosophy and I think everyone should learn some. In general, I'm a supporter of liberal arts educations for scientists.

G01 said:
I enjoy philosophy and I think everyone should learn some. In general, I'm a supporter of liberal arts educations for scientists.

Cool beans!

What aspects of philosophy do you think help scientists?

stofferjj said:
The self esteem gained from knowing you aren't a philosopher =D. In all seriousness, I can't think of a single benefit modern philosophy could have for scientists.

I was a Chem Eng student over 40 years ago, and I thought that taking Philosophy courses (mostly comparative religion back then) was a nice balance. Having been brought up as a Catholic, and rejecting it early, I benefited from a variety of viewpoints. I shifted to liberal arts partially on the basis of my honors adviser's recommendations. It was not a bad move. He was a professor emeritus, and I valued his advice.

Personally, I feel that philosophy is completely useless in science.

Don't get me wrong there! I'm just saying that a good scientists doesn't need to study philosophy to create good science. Philosophy might be useful to get the big picture.

Feynman said that ornithology was useless to birds. Well, he's right. Birds don't need ornithology to be able to fly and to live. That doesn't mean that ornithology is useless. The same with science. You don't need philosophy to be able to produce good science, but that doesn't mean that philosophers are losers.

stofferjj said:

I'd be hard pressed to argue that my philosophy background helps me align my Ti:Sapphire laser.

However, I do think it's important for educated people to know how to think and where the opinions and ideas they hold originate, as they very rarely are totally our own invention. Hence I think philosophy is important.

Also History, English, Foreign Language, etc. On an idealistic level, I think that knowing only physics does not make one an educated person. There is more to learn in life than math and physics.

On a practical level, I think humanities studies help exercise one's writing ability, which is sorely needed in the sciences if the papers I'm reading this week are any indication of the average writing ability of scientists. :rolleyes:

I don't allow philosophy in the lounge due to the mess it creates. It's just not something that goes well on the internet.

Related to Philosophy and Physics: Am I a loser?

1. What is the relationship between philosophy and physics?

The relationship between philosophy and physics is complex and multifaceted. Both fields seek to understand the nature of reality, but they approach this goal in different ways. Physics uses empirical evidence and scientific methods to study the physical world, while philosophy uses logic and reasoning to explore fundamental questions about existence, consciousness, and morality.

2. How does philosophy influence our understanding of physics?

Philosophy has played a significant role in the development of physics throughout history. Many philosophical ideas, such as determinism and causality, have influenced scientific theories and discoveries. Additionally, philosophical debates about the nature of reality have led to new ways of thinking about and approaching scientific problems.

3. Can philosophical concepts be proven through physics?

No, philosophical concepts cannot be proven through physics. While physics can provide evidence and support for certain philosophical ideas, it cannot definitively prove or disprove them. Philosophy and physics are two distinct fields of study, and their methods and goals are not interchangeable.

4. How does the study of philosophy and physics benefit society?

The study of philosophy and physics can benefit society in various ways. Both fields encourage critical thinking, which is essential for solving complex problems and making informed decisions. Philosophy also helps us grapple with ethical and moral issues, while physics has led to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe. Together, these fields contribute to our overall knowledge and understanding of the world.

5. Can someone who is interested in philosophy and physics be considered a "loser"?

No, being interested in philosophy and physics does not make someone a "loser." These are valuable and intellectually stimulating fields of study that require dedication and critical thinking skills. Additionally, having diverse interests and pursuing knowledge is something to be celebrated, not ridiculed.