Phase-Space of a bouncing ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase-space and its relation to momentum, position, and energy in a system. They also consider how a deformable ball and inelastic collisions would affect the phase-space trajectory. The conclusion is that in both cases, the trajectory would consist of horizontal line segments connecting the points -q and +q on the momentum axis.
Sekonda
Hey,

The phase-space, a graph of momentum against position, shows a trajectory of a particular system and any point on this trajectory gives a microstate of a particular macrostate; given the Energy of the system is constant... I think this is roughly true, correct me where I'm wrong please!

However the question concerns a ball bouncing between two walls placed at positions ±q, the ball interacts elastically with the walls and travels at a constant velocity. Therefore the energy is constant and magnitude of the momentum is conserved.

So I reckon the Phase-Space of such a system would simply be a straight line from -q to +q at a particular momentum p and also the same line at -p (for the ball bouncing back in the opposite direction)

Would this be correct? If not any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your description is correct. :smile:

Woo! I like being correct, Thanks!

You're welcome!

If you'd like to take it a step farther, think about how the phase-space diagram is modified for a deformable ball: when it hits the wall, it actually slows to a stop down over a short distance, then rebounds (speeds up over the same short distance) with the same velocity.

Hmm that may be similar to the next problem on my work sheet which asks to consider inelastic collisions.

Would the phase-space trajectory, over the short distance, rapidly decline to a zero momentum and then rapidly rise to the same momentum but negative (or opposite sign)?

Sekonda said:
Hmm that may be similar to the next problem on my work sheet which asks to consider inelastic collisions.

Would the phase-space trajectory, over the short distance, rapidly decline to a zero momentum and then rapidly rise to the same momentum but negative (or opposite sign)?
Yes. So those two horizontal line segments would be connected.

Inelastic conditions are a different question though.

Cool, in the inelastic condition it's losing energy and assumed to be over an infinitesimally small time interval - so I think we just get lines from -q to +q which occur over a number of momenta values that are ever decreasing.

Cheers man, thank again!

Related to Phase-Space of a bouncing ball

1. What is the phase-space of a bouncing ball?

The phase-space of a bouncing ball refers to the set of all possible states that the ball can occupy, including its position and velocity, at any given time during its motion.

2. How is the phase-space of a bouncing ball related to its energy?

The phase-space of a bouncing ball is directly related to its energy. As the ball bounces, it gains and loses kinetic energy, resulting in changes in its position and velocity in the phase-space.

3. How does air resistance affect the phase-space of a bouncing ball?

Air resistance can significantly alter the phase-space of a bouncing ball, as it introduces a drag force that opposes the ball's motion. This can cause changes in the ball's velocity and position in the phase-space, leading to different trajectories and bounces.

4. Can the phase-space of a bouncing ball be accurately predicted?

The phase-space of a bouncing ball can be predicted using mathematical models and equations that take into account factors such as gravity, air resistance, and the properties of the ball. However, small variations in these factors can lead to unpredictable changes in the ball's phase-space.

5. What is the significance of studying the phase-space of a bouncing ball?

Studying the phase-space of a bouncing ball can provide insights into the dynamics of motion and energy transfer, as well as the effects of external forces such as air resistance. This knowledge can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as sports, engineering, and physics research.