Ph.D qualifying exams in the US

• Thread starter Judas503
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams Ph.d
In summary: This information is not typically found on university websites, so it would be best to speak with a graduate advisor or department chair to get a more specific answer.In summary, it depends on the school and the department you are in.
Judas503
Hello there,

I wanted to know whether the Ph.D qualifying exams have to be taken when a student begins grad school? In some university websites, it's mentioned that all incoming students need to sit for the exam before the begin classes (provided they have sufficient background). Some other universities mention that the qualifying exams must be taken before the end of the first two years. Which is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "standard" as far as I know. It can vary from university to university, and even for a single university it can vary from department to department. The department I was in had us take it before the end of the first year of classes. But the exam itself was 100% up to the committee, so your exam was whatever your advisor wanted it to be. Mine was completely oral. But some (many?) departments give everyone the same written exam.

jason

The policy is whatever each school says it is. Why would you think it isn't?

Judas503 said:
Hello there,

I wanted to know whether the Ph.D qualifying exams have to be taken when a student begins grad school? In some university websites, it's mentioned that all incoming students need to sit for the exam before the begin classes (provided they have sufficient background). Some other universities mention that the qualifying exams must be taken before the end of the first two years. Which is it?

Please read Chapter IX of the So You Want To Be A Physicist essay.

Zz.

It varies from school to school.

At my grad program (Case Western Reserve Univ, Cleveland OH), the student has 2 chances to take the qualifier. My Ph.D. is in electrical engineering. The staff of profs recommend taking the qualifier early as possible. Since it is mandatory for graduation, there is no use in investing tens of thousands in tuition taking courses, then fail the qualifier twice, resulting in dismissal from the program. Also, I could not begin my research until I passed the qual exam. So the sooner you take it the better.

It turns out I took it during my 2nd semester of course work and almost passed. THe profs who reviewed me were very close to passing me but did not do so. By the time I was able to take the qualifier a 2nd time, all my course work was finished. After spending big $$$ on tuition, and lots of studying to meet the grade requirements, I took the 2nd qualifier. Had I failed, dismissal would result, and my whole coursework was for not. Wow, it's easy to see why they insist that all students get the qualifier done as early as feasible. Don't do what I did. Fortunately I passed, but if I hadn't, well you know.

Claude

Also, different schools define "Qualifying Exam" in different ways. What cabraham describes at Case Western as a qualifier was called the Ph.D. Screening Exam. We had two chances to pass it.

Our Qualifying Exam was to be taken after you had done your coursework and a good bit of preliminary research. It was a talk on your dissertation topic and passing it was required before you could go on "filing fee" status.

Judas503 said:
Which is it?

Both. In the USA, there are no national laws or regulations that dictate when or how universities must conduct their Ph.D. qualifying exams, as far as I know. It's up to each university to decide.

Up to the university. In addition, some universities require you to pass both or more parts (if there are multiple parts) simultaneously. Other universities allow you to pass one part one semester and another part the next. The individual departments say math and physics may have different requirements for their quals as to when they can be passed or the ground rules.

Related to Ph.D qualifying exams in the US

1. What are Ph.D qualifying exams in the US?

Ph.D qualifying exams, also known as preliminary exams or comprehensive exams, are a series of tests that Ph.D students in the US must pass in order to advance to the dissertation stage of their program. These exams typically cover the student's major field of study and demonstrate their mastery of the subject.

2. When do students take Ph.D qualifying exams in the US?

The timing of Ph.D qualifying exams varies by program, but they are typically taken after completing coursework and before beginning the dissertation stage. This is usually around the end of the second or beginning of the third year of the program.

3. How are Ph.D qualifying exams structured in the US?

The structure of Ph.D qualifying exams varies by program, but they commonly consist of both written and oral components. The written exams may be in the form of essays, short answer questions, or problem sets, while the oral exams involve a question and answer session with a panel of faculty members.

4. How do students prepare for Ph.D qualifying exams in the US?

Students typically spend several months preparing for Ph.D qualifying exams by reviewing course materials, reading relevant literature, and meeting with their advisor to discuss potential exam questions. Some programs also offer study groups or workshops to help students prepare for the exams.

5. What happens if a student fails Ph.D qualifying exams in the US?

If a student fails Ph.D qualifying exams, they may be given the opportunity to retake them after a period of time determined by their program. In some cases, students may be required to leave the program if they fail the exams multiple times. It is important for students to carefully prepare and seek support from their advisor in order to increase their chances of passing the exams on the first attempt.