PF Members' Hobbies: Music, Sports & More

• Music
  • Thread starter beamie564
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: far.I thought of learning to play a piano, but then decided against it ( good pianos being more expensive and also not very mobile). But I do hope to start playing them at some point in my life.. It's quite impressive, you playing at an orchestra.
phinds said:
Several hobbies, but one that takes a lot of my time is the creation/maintenance of an enormous educational website for information about wood:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
You wrote all that?! :oldsurprised:

I like how this one looks like: It says at your website Movingui
movingui,%20figured%20veneer%201%20closeup%20s25%20plh.jpg

Likes James Holland
Science news on Phys.org
Hot rods
Drums
Bicycling on and off road
Hiking (day hikes)
Photography
Poetry
Physics

davenn said:
it keeps me out of trouble :wink:

I find having many hobbies is good ... if I get a little bored with one, I can move on to do work on one of the other ones

Much of the overseas samples are purchased, either imported by local rock and mineral shops or I purchased from similar shops
when traveling overseas. ( it's the only way to get some of the stuff).

Over the years have done lots of collecting as I traveled around the countryside both here in Australia and back in my home country of New Zealand
Stopping at road cuttings, beaches, mining quarries and all sorts of other places ...

My fossils ... mainly NZ ones and all personally collected. NZ has an abundance of marine fossils.
3 of the cooler ones ... 30 million yr old HUGE oysters from SW area South Island. 65 million yr old Ammonites from a quarry close to my old home
... The last of their kind before the big K-T extinction event. 500 million yr old Trilobites from the NW region of the South Island

They are all still in New Zealand ... there is a thing called the Equities Act which limits the export of the country's natural history
If I wanted to take any of them out, they would all have to be sent to the local univ geology dept for appraisal to determine if they were common
or rare species. Just too much hassle.

The only ones I brought with me were ones that were purchased and are not NZ fossils

I did bring my entire rock and mineral collection to Australia when I moved here. Cost me a fortune in airfreight costs ( a lot of weight haha)
my rock and mineral collection includes 3 specialty areas
Fluorescing ones ( under UV light), radio active ones, and meteorites

Just in case you are interested ... the seismology interest ... I run my own seismic recording station.
5 of the 6 sensors are online, they update every 5 minutes.
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/seismograms.htmcheers
Dave
That's fascinating! And I believe you spent a small fortune at the airport :-) but it would be such a pity not to take them to the new home after collecting it for a long time.
I only have a few "healing" gems like citrine, crystal, hematite, tiger's eye and similar. However, I suspect some of them are fake.
Where have you learned about the minerals and fossils? Can you recommend a book or website?

H
Sophia said:
That's fascinating! And I believe you spent a small fortune at the airport :-) but it would be such a pity not to take them to the new home after collecting it for a long time.
I only have a few "healing" gems like citrine, crystal, hematite, tiger's eye and similar. However, I suspect some of them are fake.
Where have you learned about the minerals and fossils? Can you recommend a book or website?

Here is a book Sophia https://wordery.com/dictionary-of-g...currency=GBP&gtrck=VnY0QUY3YjIyZ3pPT21zWXZxZF

Sophia said:

The crystals/minerals are probably not fake
BUT the purported healing properties of them are :wink::wink:

Likes Sophia
davenn said:
The crystals/minerals are probably not fake
BUT the purported healing properties of them are :wink::wink:
Careful now; Deepak Chopra is going to be very upset with you.

Likes Sophia
phinds said:
Careful now; Deepak Chopra is going to be very upset with you.

hahaha, I had to google the name

but seriously ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I like studying ( mostly science and Astrophysics - Cosmology in particular ), playing chess - I play since 8 y.o. and vacations. I love playing the electric guitar and play since 16 classic guitar. I managed to get a strat beauty back in '96, and a marshall combo after hard work. The last 5 - 6 years I've been much more serious about playing electric guitar, attending a lot of online lessons and playing - I thank America for that too. What inspires me most, is the groovy thing of Hendrix playing - the chords - phrasing alternation, and I follow his masterpieces in detail. I also like rock from 70's - 80's, some hard rock and a little bit of (old) metal.

Sophia said:
Great, adding that to the list of things I'll buy when I win the lottery :partytime:
That's like a minimal monthly wage here :)

Well this site may interest you http://www.gia.edu/ i have a beautiful 14inch high by7inch wide amethyst geode on my mantelpiece.

wolram said:
Well this site may interest you http://www.gia.edu/ i have a beautiful 14inch high by7inch wide amethyst geode on my mantelpiece.
Pictures. Must see pictures.

wolram said:

nice, I will photo my one tonite, but as a teaser ...
my wife standing in front of a huge amethyst geode

IMGP0852a.jpg

Worlds biggest Amethyst Geode – The ‘Empress of Uruguay’ – Atherton Tablelands, Cairns, Australia
At well over 3 metres tall (that’s 11 feet) and weighing two and a half tonnes,

Cindy is 5'3"

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto, collinsmark and Sophia
wolram said:
Thanks, I'll check that out :-) amethysts are beautiful

@phinds , since you insisted :wink:

OK couple of mineral clumps from my collection

first a section of an amethyst geode

2016_03_10_5200sm.jpg

and a conglomerate of a number of minerals
Stilbite, Quartz, Chabazite and something else I have yet to identify ( the small brown crystals)

2016_03_10_5195sm.jpg

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
davenn said:
OK couple of mineral clumps from my collection

first a section of an amethyst geode

View attachment 97131

and a conglomerate of a number of minerals
Stilbite, Quartz, Chabazite and something else I have yet to identify ( the small brown crystals)

View attachment 97132

cheers
Dave
Amethyst has a marvellous colour but I like the second one more. It's a bit simpler and gentler (at least appears so on my mobile screen) yet has an interesting structure that could be observed for a long time

Likes davenn
QuantumQuest said:
I like studying ( mostly science and Astrophysics - Cosmology in particular ), playing chess - I play since 8 y.o. and vacations. I love playing the electric guitar and play since 16 classic guitar. I managed to get a strat beauty back in '96, and a marshall combo after hard work. The last 5 - 6 years I've been much more serious about playing electric guitar, attending a lot of online lessons and playing - I thank America for that too. What inspires me most, is the groovy thing of Hendrix playing - the chords - phrasing alternation, and I follow his masterpieces in detail. I also like rock from 70's - 80's, some hard rock and a little bit of (old) metal.

I find cosmology fascinating, if you can play like Hendrix you are okay in my book:biggrin: why you thank America is beyond me all the best guitar players came from England:rolleyes:

Likes James Holland
Psinter said:
That is a really nice interest. :smile:

Out of academia? Besides playing video games, training. I just like how it feels. Been thinking about doing gymnastics (always wanted to try this), but I'm not so sure of a place where I can learn it. Cool historic fact about gymnastics::smile:
i love gaming too
an also rugby is fun and so is polo/riding however sailing defiantly takes the top spot

Likes Psinter
wolram said:
if you can play like Hendrix you are okay in my book:biggrin:

I wish I could - even very near to his playing, but it's really difficult; anyway I try my best and I go fine.

wolram said:
why you thank America is beyond me all the best guitar players came from England:rolleyes:

I thank America, for the very good online lessons, that have helped me a lot and it's not only music it's education, too. While England has a long history of great bands and guitar players and I like it too, many great guitar players are Americans.

Likes James Holland
wolram said:
I find cosmology fascinating, if you can play like Hendrix you are okay in my book:biggrin: why you thank America is beyond me all the best guitar players came from England:rolleyes:
Rule Britannia

phinds said:
Several hobbies, but one that takes a lot of my time is the creation/maintenance of an enormous educational website for information about wood:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
phinds, whatever made you decide to create a website on wood? :-p

Not many people may find it interesting, but I really like making digital art. Really, really love it. I also like to sew and hike. Webcomics are good, too.
Sophia said:
What cartoons and comics do you guys like?
Cartoons: the original Adventures of Tintin
Webcomics: The Gentleman's Armchair and the Pigeon Gazette.

Likes kjdfhgd
ProfuselyQuarky said:
phinds, whatever made you decide to create a website on wood? :-p
Why do some people collect matchbook covers? I'm a woodworker. I work with exotics and am interested in them.

bowls.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and QuantumQuest
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Not many people may find it interesting...
Well, I wouldn't say that, exactly. My site gets 15,000 unique visitors per month.

Likes OmCheeto, jtbell, collinsmark and 1 other person
phinds said:
Why do some people collect matchbook covers? I'm a woodworker. I work with exotics and am interested in them.
You're a woodworker? How cool! I guess a website about wood makes sense now. Did you make those bowls?? :wideeyed:
phinds said:
Well, I wouldn't say that, exactly. My site gets 15,000 unique visitors per month.
I wasn't talking about your website. I was talking about my art :sorry:

15,000 is an impressive number. I'll show my father so maybe you'll get 15,001 :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Did you make those bowls?? :wideeyed:
Well, yeah. It would have been pretty silly to post pictures of someone ELSE's bowls :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
phinds said:

Can i have one of your bowls gratis:biggrin: i will pay the postage.

Likes James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
I second that request

Likes James Holland
wolram said:
Sure. The postage, depending on which one you pick, will be between $75 and $200.

Likes OmCheeto, ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
phinds said:
Sure. The postage, depending on which one you pick, will be between $75 and $200.
what if it was shipping?

Last edited:
James Holland said:
what is it was shipping?
I don't understand the question. Have you been following the last few posts?

Likes James Holland
yes i was wondering how much it would cost to ship one of your bowls over seas. preferably to the U.K

James Holland said:
yes i was wondering how much it would cost to ship one of your bowls over seas. preferably to the U.K
I've shipped several to the UK. I don't remember the price but I do remember it was quite expensive. Something on the order of $60 and the cost of postage from the US went up quite a bit recently.

Please do not continue any discussion of buying my bowls in the forum. If you are interested, go to my bowl site and work from there:

http://www.phinds.com/bowls/

Likes James Holland
phinds said:
I've shipped several to the UK. I don't remember the price but I do remember it was quite expensive. Something on the order of $60 and the cost of postage from the US went up quite a bit recently.

Please do not continue any discussion of buying my bowls in the forum. If you are interested, go to my bowl site and work from there:

http://www.phinds.com/bowls/
ok

When my back isn't bothering me I like to do strongman competitions.

Likes James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
OrangeDog said:
When my back isn't bothering me I like to do strongman competitions.
When my back isn't bothering me, I think about watching a strongman competition but it occurs to me how strenuous it would be and I go read a good book instead :smile:

Likes kjdfhgd, James Holland and wolram