PF Member Photo Thread Archive

In summary: Some members also made jokes and teased each other. The conversation ended with one member finally sharing his photo and asking the others to go easy on the photoshopping.
  • #2,451
Hey, maybe this is why education seems to be declining. We keep blaming it on the schools, but maybe it's that our parents' bad decorating taste was actually having the benefit of contributing to our visual stimulation and brain development. :biggrin:

What is the best visual stimulation for an infant’s eyes? Black and white stripes or light and dark contrasting colours are best. Research has proven that black and white “contrasts” register more powerfully on a baby’s retina and send the strongest visual signals to the child’s brain. Stronger signals mean more brain growth and faster visual development.

It is important to visually stimulate children from the moment that they enter the world. Promoting visual skills provides a foundation for the development of later fine and gross motor skills, as well as sensory motor development. It will also help to promote cognitive and social skills. Visual stimulation can also produce developmental advantages including enhanced curiosity, attentiveness and concentration.
http://www.crawlies.ca/babyvisualstimulation.html

Now I feel sorry for all those poor kids whose parents have good taste. They just don't have a chance. :frown: :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,452
cyrus said:
Hey that's not bad. Looks rather Ethan Allen-ish. Would look very nice in a modern appartment. :cool:

*It would look atrocious if you don't pull it off right though, gloomy and depressing.
It might work if it was just one wall, and the rest were a nice solid color, but just try to imagine being completely surrounded by stripes! Though, I keep laughing when I see "modern" styles in both decorating and clothing that look frighteningly like what I grew up with in the 70s. There's a lot of "retro" in "modern" decorating. Just hope nobody tries to bring back the wallpaper covered in orange flowers that was so prominent in the 60s. I encountered a lot of that when shopping for my first house...it was an old neighborhood with a lot of homes that were being sold because the aging owners either were dying off or moving into nursing homes/assisted living, and they hadn't redecorated some rooms since buying their houses.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,453
I never noticed this thread before! How weird putting faces to names. Here is my contribution.

karl Garden.jpg

Hope this works!

• #2,454
Remember that you can also take the shortcut (for older pictures) by visiting the 'alphabetical order' gallery a couple of stickies down from here.

• #2,455
Kurdt said:
I never noticed this thread before! How weird putting faces to names. Here is my contribution.

View attachment 7231

Hope this works!
Great pictue Kurdt!

Yeah, I need to update the alphabetical thread.

• #2,456
Thanks!

Its an old one about 2 years I think you can tell by the length of the hair (tis much longer now). I'll try and get a recent pic taken.

• #2,457
Kurdt said:

View attachment 7231

Hope this works!
That is a WONDERFUL picture of you. You are absolutely gorgeous! And I love how well you have the sitting human trained. It speaks very well of your character.:approve:

• #2,458
Math Is Hard said:
That is a WONDERFUL picture of you. You are absolutely gorgeous! And I love how well you have the sitting human trained. It speaks very well of your character.:approve:
I agree, the human is completely under control, well done! :approve:

Quick, MIH, while we have the human confused, throw the net over him! We have to lure him into General Discussion.

Last edited:
  • #2,459
It took me ages to train that human. Its very hard when all you can offer for rewards are small dead rodents and birds. In the end I resorted to draconian measures. I assumed that's what I have the claws for :eek:

• #2,460
Kurdt said:
Nice picture Kurdt. Our male cat, Chester, looks much like the one in the picture, but his tail is not as bushy.

Its an old one about 2 years I think you can tell by the length of the hair (tis much longer now).
My hair has grown a little since I made the pic in the avatar. :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • #2,461
Well for anyone who was wondering the cat is called Rosie and she's lovely as you can see.

• #2,462
Astronuc said:
My hair has grown a little since I made the pic in the avatar. :biggrin:

Would that be your head hair or your beard hair Astronuc? I have to say I really admire that beard, its awesome.

• #2,463
Kurdt said:
Would that be your head hair or your beard hair Astronuc? I have to say I really admire that beard, its awesome.
:biggrin: That would be the hair on my head. The beard grows more slowly. I'd like to be able to tuck it into my belt, like the dwarves do in LOTR, but I don't think it will ever be that long. :biggrin: Nevertheless, I'll keep trying.

• #2,464
Astronuc said:
I'd like to be able to tuck it into my belt, like the dwarves do in LOTR, but I don't think it will ever be that long. :biggrin: Nevertheless, I'll keep trying.

Well that all depends on how high your belt is! If you've heard of Patrick Moore or ever seen him, I suspect if you took on board his fashion sense you'd be able to get your beard down there next week! :wink:

• #2,465
Here I am snorkling in Cozumel, Mexico. It wasn't until much later that I found out I was supposed to put my face into the water and open my eyes. :redface:

snorkle33lu.jpg

• #2,466
Evo said:
Here I am snorkling in Cozumel, Mexico. It wasn't until much later that I found out I was supposed to put my face into the water and open my eyes. :redface:

I am similarly afflicted in water due to all the horrible animals you can't see and the fact I sink like a stone rather than float like most people. Although where you were not being able to see animals would be the least of the problems! Looks lovely :smile:

• #2,467
Moonbear said:
As I was digging through old photos for the latest photo contest, I came across this one of me with my sister. I was about 11 in the photo

though this photo was taken in the early 80s). :smile:
So you were 11 in the early 80ties, say 82, than you were born in 71 so you are 35 right now. Am i close ?

marlon, your best friend

• #2,468
Kurdt said:
I am similarly afflicted in water due to all the horrible animals you can't see
That's why I can't swim in murky water...you DON'T KNOW WHAT'S UNDER YOU!

• #2,469
That's some clean water your swimming in Evo. You can see all the way to the bottom.

It wasn't until much later that I found out I was supposed to put my face into the water and open my eyes.

I hope your just kidding.....right?

Last edited:
  • #2,470
cyrusabdollahi said:
That's some clean water your swimming in Evo. You can see all the way to the bottom.
I'm on my knees. :biggrin:

Evo said:
It wasn't until much later that I found out I was supposed to put my face into the water and open my eyes.

I hope your just kidding.....right?
Yes, I'm kidding, I just noticed that in three shots of me snorkling, I had my eyes closed in all three.

• #2,471
Sureeeeeeeee you did :wink:

• #2,472
nice pics, everyone.
i don't have any current pictures...

• #2,473
OK, I can't hold out anymore. The first one is me doing my "Paulie Walnuts" routine inbetween rounds of a game of shuffleboard. The second one is me and *melinda* (yes, she gave me permission to post it).

Attachments

• 5-06043.JPG
    5-06043.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_0411c.jpg
    IMG_0411c.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 794
  • #2,474
Tom Mattson said:
OK, I can't hold out anymore. The first one is me doing my "Paulie Walnuts" routine inbetween rounds of a game of shuffleboard. The second one is me and *melinda* (yes, she gave me permission to post it).

I didn't know mathematicians could be that cute...:blushing: o:)

• #2,475
Tom Mattson said:
OH, what a cute couple you two make! :smile:

It's about time you came out of the closet.

• #2,476
More than 4600 posts without considering to post a pic of yourself? :bugeye:

Thanks for sharing these really nice shots! :smile:

• #2,477
Tom, you handsome devil! :smile: :devil: I knew it would be worth the wait.
You and Melinda, do indeed make an adorable couple!

• #2,478
nazzard said:
More than 4600 posts without considering to post a pic of yourself? :bugeye:

It's worse than that. I had more than 2900 posts in PF v2.0, before all our post counts were reset to zero.

• #2,479
Well, you handsome devil, no wonder you've been keeping your identity a secret! You must have known that none of the female members here would ever be able to do anything but sit and drool over your photo once it was posted! No wonder women struggle in math classes...who could concentrate with such a cute calculus professor?! :!)

• #2,480
Is it only me who feels like taking a calculus course with Tom?:-p I swear I'd get an A...

• #2,481
I hope you don't mind me saying Tom but you remind me of principal Skinner. Perhaps its just the hair although I'm one to talk about haircuts *looks like a hippy* :wink:

• #2,482
Kurdt said:
I hope you don't mind me saying Tom but you remind me of principal Skinner. Perhaps its just the hair although I'm one to talk about haircuts *looks like a hippy* :wink:
OMG HE DOES

• #2,483
Lisa! said:
Is it only me who feels like taking a calculus course with Tom?:-p I swear I'd get an A...
Not me. I'd pretend not to understand so I could stay after class for some special help from my teacher. :-p

• #2,484
Math Is Hard said:
Not me. I'd pretend not to understand so I could stay after class for some special help from my teacher. :-p
Going for extra credit? :biggrin:

• #2,485
turbo-1 said:
Going for extra credit? :biggrin:
hey, it never hurts. :smile: :wink: