Perturbation theory, second-order correction - When does the sum stop?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact expression for energy using perturbation theory and the formula for the second-order correction. The main question is how to determine the value of ##m## and ##n## in the formula and where the sum stops. It is concluded that the sum stops when the numerator is zero and ##n## is fixed while the sum is over all states except for the nth state.
DataGG
Gold Member
I've no idea if I should be posting this here or in the general forums.
This is not really an exercise as much as an example. I'm not understanding something though:

1. Homework Statement

Using perturbation theory, find the exact expression for the energy given by the hamiltonian:

$$\hat{H}=\hat{H_0} + \hat{H_p} = - \dfrac{\hbar}{2m}\dfrac{d^2}{dX^2} + \dfrac{1}{2}m\omega \hat{X}^2 + q\epsilon \hat{X}$$

I'm only having problems with the second-order correction.

The formula for the second-order correction is below. My question is: How do we find ##m## and ##n##? Is their inequality the only restriction? Can they both go to infinity? How do I find where the sum stops?

Homework Equations

$$E^{(2)}_n=\sum _{m \ne n} \dfrac{|<\phi _m |\hat{W}|\phi _n >^2 |}{E_n ^{(0)} -E_m^{(0)}} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This is an example. The full exercise is explained in a book. However, in order to compreehend one of the steps, I need to find out how to find out where the sum stops.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh.. I think I can answer my own question.

The sum stops when the numerator is zero. In the above example, it's going to be zero everytime ##m## and ##n## differ more than 1. The sum is, however, supposed to be an infinite sum, correct?

##n## is fixed, and the sum is over ##m##. You need to sum over all states except for the nth state. In this particular case, you're right that almost all the terms vanish, so you're only left with one or two terms.

Likes DataGG

Related to Perturbation theory, second-order correction - When does the sum stop?

What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to complex problems that cannot be solved exactly. It involves breaking down a complex problem into a simpler one and then adding small corrections to improve the accuracy of the solution.

What is the second-order correction in perturbation theory?

The second-order correction in perturbation theory is the second term in the perturbation series, which takes into account the second-order effects or corrections to the initial approximation. It is an additional step in the perturbation process that further refines the solution.

When is perturbation theory used?

Perturbation theory is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful when dealing with systems that are too complex to solve exactly, such as quantum mechanical systems or nonlinear systems.

How does the perturbation series work?

The perturbation series is an infinite sum of terms, each representing a different order of correction to the initial approximation. The series starts with the zeroth-order term, which is the initial approximation, and each subsequent term represents a higher-order correction. The sum can be truncated at any order, depending on the desired level of accuracy.

When does the sum stop in perturbation theory?

The sum in perturbation theory stops when the desired level of accuracy is achieved. This can be determined by comparing the current approximation to the previous one and calculating the difference. If the difference is below a certain threshold, the sum can be considered to have converged and the solution is considered accurate.