Perturbation first order hydrogen - Coulomb model

In summary: The limits are from 0 to b, those are the limits of the radial coordinate in the integral in the second line of your work. The limits are from 0 to b, those are the limits of the radial coordinate in the integral in the second line of your work.
JaneHall89

Homework Statement

Assume that there is a deviation from Coulomb’s law at very small distances, the Coulomb potential energy between an electron and proton is given by

[itex]V_{mod}(r)=\begin{cases}
-\frac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}}\frac{b}{r^{2}} & 0<r\leq b\\
-\frac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r} & r>b
\end{cases}[/itex]

(a) Find the first order correction for the ground state using the standard integrals

Homework Equations

Ground State - [itex]\psi_0=\frac{2}{a_0^{3/2}}e^{-r/a_0}[/itex]

To find the first order correction - [itex]E_{1}^{(1)}[/itex]=<ψ0| [itex]\delta\hat{\textrm{H}} [/itex]|ψ0>

Perturbation - [itex]\delta\hat{\textrm{H}}=-\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}}\left(\dfrac{b}{r^{2}}-\dfrac{1}{r}\right)[/itex] for 0<r≤b
Standard integrals
[itex]\int_{0}^{x}[/itex] e-u du = 1 - e-x
-[itex]\int_{0}^{x}[/itex] u e-u du = 1 - e-x - xe-x

The Attempt at a Solution

Using [itex]E_{1}^{(1)}[/itex]=[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}[/itex]ψ(0) * [itex]\delta\hat{\textrm{H}} [/itex] ψ(0)
[itex]E_{1}^{(1)}=\dfrac{1}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}}\int_{0}^{b}(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) (\dfrac{b}{r^{2}}-\dfrac{1}{r})[/itex] dr

So I've taken the constants out and applied a 'sandwich integral' with the perturbation Hamiltonian... This problem is I have no idea where to start making this easier for me, I've been staring at it for aleast and hour. Can someone help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the volume element for the integration ##d^3\mathbf{r}##?

r is radius not a vector in this question. So integration is only on radius. I added dr

That's not the point of my question. Any integral must take the form of ##\int f(x) \, dx##, where is your ##dx## in your calculation of the integral?

I added dr

JaneHall89 said:
I added dr
That's still not completely correct, you are integrating over the entire volume which means the integration element must be that of a volume element. Find the correct form of ##d^3\mathbf{r}## (sometimes also written as ##dV##) in spherical coordinate, for example take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system.

blue_leaf77 said:
That's still not completely correct, you are integrating over the entire volume which means the integration element must be that of a volume element. Find the correct form of ##d^3\mathbf{r}## (sometimes also written as ##dV##) in spherical coordinate, for example take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system.
But the perturbation hamilton that I have is independent of Φ,θ

JaneHall89 said:
But the perturbation hamilton that I have is independent of Φ,θ
The form of the volume element is entirely determined by the coordinate system being used, not by the integrand.

blue_leaf77 said:
The form of the volume element is entirely determined by the coordinate system being used, not by the integrand.
[itex]E_{1}^{(1)}=\dfrac{1}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{2pi} \int_{0}^{pi}\int_{0}^{b}(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) (\dfrac{b}{r^{2}}-\dfrac{1}{r})[/itex] dr dθ dΦ

JaneHall89 said:
dr dθ dΦ
Still something missing, look for ##dV=?## in the wikipedia link above.

blue_leaf77 said:
Still something missing, look for ##dV=?## in the wikipedia link above.
[itex]E_{1}^{(1)}=\dfrac{1}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{2pi} \int_{0}^{pi}\int_{0}^{b}(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) (\dfrac{b}{r^{2}}-\dfrac{1}{r})[/itex] r2sin θ dr dθ dΦ =
[itex]E_{1}^{(1)}=\dfrac{1}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{2pi} \int_{0}^{pi}\int_{0}^{b}(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) (b-r)[/itex] sin θ dr dθ dΦ

JaneHall89 said:
[itex]E_{1}^{(1)}=\dfrac{1}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{2pi} \int_{0}^{pi}\int_{0}^{b}(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) (\dfrac{b}{r^{2}}-\dfrac{1}{r})[/itex] r2sin θ dr dθ dΦ
Yes, that's right. Now all ##r##'s will be in the numerator and the integral should be analytically solvable.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes, that's right. Now all ##r##'s will be in the numerator and the integral should be analytically solvable.
hmm I'm still not seeing how to make use of the standard integrals given

I mean this equation:
$$
E_{1}^{(1)}=\dfrac{1}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{2pi} \int_{0}^{pi}\int_{0}^{b}e^{\frac{-2r}{a_0}} (b-r) dr d\theta d\phi
$$
Do the integrals over the angles first if the appearance makes obscure your mind. You will then be left with the integral over ##r##, which takes the form of the formula you posted under the "Relevant equations" in your starting post.

blue_leaf77 said:
I mean this equation:
$$
E_{1}^{(1)}=\dfrac{1}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}\dfrac{q^{2}}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{2pi} \int_{0}^{pi}\int_{0}^{b}e^{\frac{-2r}{a_0}} (b-r) dr d\theta d\phi
$$
Do the integrals over the angles first if the appearance makes obscure your mind. You will then be left with the integral over ##r##, which takes the form of the formula you posted under the "Relevant equations" in your starting post.

[itex]\int_{0}^{b}(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) (b-r) dr = \int_{0}^{b}-r(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}})+b(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) [/itex]

This is hurting me, I can't see how these work with standard integrals?? Everything I am trying on my paper is not working :/ Have I gone wrong somewhere else and that's why I can't see it

Last edited:
JaneHall89 said:
[itex]\int_{0}^{b}(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) (b-r) dr = \int_{0}^{b}-r(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}})+b(e^{\dfrac{-2r}{a_{0}}}) [/itex]

This is hurting me, I can't see how these work with standard integrals?? Everything I am trying on my paper is not working :/ Have I gone wrong somewhere else and that's why I can't see it

Integrate via a substitution using u=2r/a

JaneHall89 said:
Everything I am trying on my paper is not working :/ Have I gone wrong somewhere else and that's why I can't see it
One more time, don't leave the integration element behind whenever you write an integral.
As to the method to solve, do you know integration by substitution? It's the same as the one someone above suggested.

blue_leaf77 said:
One more time, don't leave the integration element behind whenever you write an integral.
As to the method to solve, do you know integration by substitution? It's the same as the one someone above suggested.
I have done the subs after a very long day of staring at this and I think its correct but its incredibly messing and hard to simplify.
For the first integral...
= ((a0b) /2) x (1-e-2b/a0)
Second
= (a02 / 4) x ( 1 - e - 2b/a0 - 2b/a0 e-2b/a0)
So I'll add them to complete.
I have Just to double check that the limits are from 0 to 2b/a0?

JaneHall89 said:
So I'll add them to complete.
I have Just to double check that the limits are from 0 to 2b/a0?
Yes, add them.
Why do you still want to double check again when you have computed the integral?

Related to Perturbation first order hydrogen - Coulomb model

1. What is the "perturbation first order" in the hydrogen - Coulomb model?

The perturbation first order refers to the first order approximation in the perturbation theory, which is a mathematical method used to solve problems in quantum mechanics. In the hydrogen - Coulomb model, it involves adding a small perturbation to the original Hamiltonian (the Coulomb potential) to account for additional interactions, such as the spin-orbit interaction.

2. How is the hydrogen - Coulomb model used in physics?

The hydrogen - Coulomb model is used to study the behavior of the hydrogen atom, which consists of an electron orbiting a proton. It is an important model in quantum mechanics, as it provides a simple yet accurate description of the electronic structure of atoms. It is also used to understand the effects of external electric and magnetic fields on the atom.

3. What are the limitations of the hydrogen - Coulomb model?

The hydrogen - Coulomb model is an idealized model and does not account for all the complexities of the atom, such as electron-electron interactions and relativistic effects. It also assumes a spherically symmetric charge distribution for the nucleus, which is not the case for heavier atoms. Therefore, it is only accurate for describing the electronic structure of the simplest atom, hydrogen.

4. How is the hydrogen - Coulomb model related to the Bohr model?

The hydrogen - Coulomb model is an extension of the Bohr model, which was proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to describe the hydrogen atom. While the Bohr model only considers the electron's orbital angular momentum, the hydrogen - Coulomb model takes into account other factors such as the electron's spin and the interaction between the electron and the proton's magnetic moments.

5. What is the significance of the first order perturbation in the hydrogen - Coulomb model?

The first order perturbation in the hydrogen - Coulomb model allows for more accurate calculations of the energy levels and transition probabilities of the hydrogen atom. It also provides a framework for understanding the effects of external perturbations on the atom, such as the Stark and Zeeman effects. This is important in various fields of physics, such as atomic and molecular physics, spectroscopy, and quantum chemistry.