Linear perturbation to harmonic oscillator

In summary, the first-order corrections to the energy and wavefunction of a 1D harmonic oscillator perturbed by ##H'=ax## are given by ##E^{(1)}=0## and $$|n^{(1)}\rangle=\frac{a\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}}{\hbar\omega}(\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle-\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle)$$ for ##n>0##, with the term for ##n=0## being ##0##.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

Find the first-order corrections to energy and the wavefunction, for a 1D harmonic oscillator which is linearly perturbed by ##H'=ax##.

Homework Equations

First-order correction to the energy is given by, ##E^{(1)}=\langle n|H'|n\rangle##, while first-order correction to the wave-function is, $$|n^{(1)}\rangle=\Sigma_{m\neq n}\frac{\langle m|H'|n\rangle}{E_n-E_m}|m\rangle.$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The energy correction is just ##0## by orthogonality arguments. For the corrections to the wavefunction, I have, $$|n^{(1)}\rangle=\frac{a\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}}{\hbar\omega}\Sigma_{m\neq n}\frac{\langle m|a+a^+|n\rangle}{n-m}|m\rangle.$$ The first term within the summation is only exists for ##m=n-1##, such that the term becomes, ##\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle##. Similarly, the second term in the summation only exists for ##m=n+1##, such that the term becomes,##-\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle##. Hence, the first order correction should be, $$\frac{a\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}}{\hbar\omega}(\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle-\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle).$$ I am not sure however, as I'm still getting my feet wet with perturbation theory and would like to know if I'm on the correct track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine, except that the last expression is applicable only for ##n>0##. What about the one for ##n=0##?

blue_leaf77 said:
Looks fine, except that the last expression is applicable only for ##n>0##. What about the one for ##n=0##?
For, ##n=0##, I'm thinking that the term involving the ##|n-1\rangle## would just go to ##0## by definition of the raising/lowering operators. Would that be correct?

vbrasic said:
For, ##n=0##, I'm thinking that the term involving the ##|n-1\rangle## would just go to ##0## by definition of the raising/lowering operators. Would that be correct?
Yes.

1. What is a linear perturbation to a harmonic oscillator?

A linear perturbation to a harmonic oscillator is a small deviation from the regular motion of a harmonic oscillator. It is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a system that is slightly disturbed from its equilibrium position.

2. How is a linear perturbation to a harmonic oscillator different from a regular harmonic oscillator?

A regular harmonic oscillator follows a predictable motion, while a linear perturbation to a harmonic oscillator takes into account small disturbances that may affect the motion of the system. This can result in a more complex and less predictable motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of linear perturbations to harmonic oscillators?

Examples of linear perturbations to harmonic oscillators can be seen in systems such as pendulums, springs, and even musical instruments. Any system that exhibits harmonic motion can be affected by small disturbances, resulting in a linear perturbation.

4. How is a linear perturbation to a harmonic oscillator calculated?

The calculation of a linear perturbation to a harmonic oscillator involves using mathematical equations to determine the behavior of the system when it is slightly disturbed from its equilibrium position. This can involve using differential equations and other mathematical tools.

5. What are the applications of studying linear perturbations to harmonic oscillators?

Studying linear perturbations to harmonic oscillators can help scientists and engineers understand the behavior of complex systems and how they are affected by small disturbances. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and even economics, to make more accurate predictions and improve system designs.