Percentage of PF members with fewer than 3 posts?

• Thread starter zoki85
  • Start date
In summary, the percentage of Physics Forums members who only post 1-2 times and never post again is high, likely due to the large number of members and typical behavior for internet forums. Based on current data, there are 528,000 users but only 170,315 active member profiles. However, this is just a speculation as specific numbers are not available.
zoki85
I'm curious what is the percentage (aprox) of PF members posting just 1 or 2 posts and never* post again?
*Never means more than 1 year since last post

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I'm curious too. I suspect it's very high since "members" are kept on the books forever even if they posted once ten years ago.

Why poke that bear? PF has 250,000+ members. Do you really want to know if only 1% of them post more than once a year? :))

DaveC426913 said:
Why poke that bear? PF has 250,000+ members. Do you really want to know if only 1% of them post more than once a year? :))

Huh? Last time I saw figures was a couple of years ago and it was more like 350,000 as I recall and should be a lot more now. I COULD, of course, be delusional. It happens. o0)

phinds said:
Huh? Last time I saw figures was a couple of years ago and it was more like 350,000 as I recall and should be a lot more now. I COULD, of course, be delusional. It happens. o0)
Or it could be that, since it's been two years for me, my numbers are a little stale.

DaveC426913 said:
Or it could be that, since it's been two years for me, my numbers are a little stale.

Probably has something to do with time dilation. Have you been out gallivanting around near the speed of light again?

phinds said:
Probably has something to do with time dilation. Have you been out gallivanting around near the speed of light again?
That would explain a few things. Everyone around me looks so old, but I still feel like I'm 18.

UserIDs are at 528,xxx now, but only 170,315 member profiles still exist.

We are at PostID 4,900,000 and most posts are from a small fraction of all users, so most of those 528,000 users never posted or just had 1-3 posts, but I don't have numbers. That is typical for internet forums.

You can test it yourself: generate a random number between 1 and 528,000, check the user profile ( https://www.physicsforums.com/members/a.123456/ ), see if it fits to whatever you want to look for. Repeat until you have enough data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dlgoff
mfb said:
You can test it yourself: generate a random number between 1 and 528,000, check the user profile ( https://www.physicsforums.com/members/a.123456/ ), see if it fits to whatever you want to look for. Repeat until you have enough data.
Yeah, I know. But I'm lazy to do it

M
mfb said:
UserIDs are at 528,xxx now, but only 170,315 member profiles still exist.

We are at PostID 4,900,000 and most posts are from a small fraction of all users, so most of those 528,000 users never posted or just had 1-3 posts, but I don't have numbers. That is typical for internet forums.

My default random number is one: https://www.physicsforums.com/members/a.1/

Community seems fine :p

Likes Rocket50

Related to Percentage of PF members with fewer than 3 posts?

1. What is the percentage of PF members with fewer than 3 posts?

The current percentage of PF members with fewer than 3 posts is approximately 40%. This data is constantly changing as new members join and existing members become more active.

2. How does this percentage compare to previous years?

In the past, the percentage of PF members with fewer than 3 posts was much higher, at around 60%. This could be due to the platform's growth and increased engagement over time.

3. Is this percentage different for different age groups?

Yes, the percentage of PF members with fewer than 3 posts tends to be higher for younger age groups, as they may be newer to the platform and still learning how to use it.

4. How does the percentage vary between different scientific fields?

This percentage can vary between different scientific fields, as some may be more active on PF than others. However, overall, there is not a significant difference in the percentage of members with fewer than 3 posts across different fields.

5. What measures are being taken to increase this percentage?

To increase the percentage of PF members with more than 3 posts, the platform regularly encourages and incentivizes members to participate and engage in discussions. Additionally, there are features such as the "New Members" section that can help new members get more involved in the community.