Do you receive an alert when someone quotes your post from a different thread?

In summary, the conversation was about whether or not someone would receive an alert if their post was quoted in a thread they were not actively watching. The conclusion was that yes, they would receive an alert. The conversation then shifted to discussing the approximate percentage of sugar in a living organism, with the approximate composition of elements in a living organism being mentioned. Finally, the conversation touched on the topic of giving credit to someone in a post without alerting them.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
If someone quotes your post from thread other than your quoted post.
Do you get an alert?
For example like this
Stephanus said:
Thanks SteamKing.
And..., the approximately sugar percentage in a living organism?
If approximately 95% elements composition of a living organism is Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and approximately 60% to 70% is water, then, how is the percentage of sugar/glucose? Just approximate number would be enough for me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Greg.
Even in a thread that we don't "watch"?

Stephanus said:
Thanks, Greg.
Even in a thread that we don't "watch"?
Correct

Likes Stephanus
Ahh, that's why. I think jtbell (no tag here :smile:) got annoyed when I requote him. Although all my intentions was to give him some credit for his phrase that I thought is a good one.
This is his quote in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/learning-programming-languages.847121/
jtbell said
"OK, here's what I'd like to do, but none of the tools we've learned so far can accomplish it. So here's something new: pointers."
That was how jtbell taught dynamic memory allocation. That phrase impresses me. That I often requote it along with his name.
Now I know, even if I want to give credit to someone, that person will be annoyed to have alert thrown at him/her.
So, perhaps I just type his name as above, so that person won't get alert.
Okayyy, Greg. Thanks a lot.

Related to Do you receive an alert when someone quotes your post from a different thread?

What is quoting from other thread?

Quoting from other thread refers to the act of using someone else's words or ideas in a discussion or conversation. It is a common practice in academic and scientific settings to support arguments and provide evidence.

Why is it important to quote from other thread?

Quoting from other thread adds credibility to your own arguments and ideas by showing that they are supported by other experts in the field. It also allows readers to access the original source of information and evaluate the validity of the information being presented.

How do I properly quote from other thread?

To properly quote from other thread, you should use quotation marks around the exact words or phrases that you are borrowing. You should also include a citation to the original source, including the author's name, publication date, and page number (if applicable).

Can I paraphrase instead of quoting from other thread?

Yes, you can paraphrase instead of quoting from other thread. Paraphrasing involves restating the original information in your own words, while still giving credit to the original source. However, it is important to still cite the source of the information to avoid plagiarism.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when quoting from other thread?

Some common mistakes to avoid when quoting from other thread include not using quotation marks around borrowed words or phrases, not providing proper citations, and not accurately representing the original source's information or ideas. It is important to carefully and accurately use and credit sources when quoting from other thread.