PDE Separating Variables for 3d spherical wave equation

Your Name]In summary, the conversation involved one person seeking a double check of their work regarding separating variables for a time-dependent ODE. The other person provided feedback and suggested double checking for signs and constants, as well as including boundary conditions in the calculations. They also commended the person for their understanding of the topic and encouraged them to ask for further help if needed.
King Tony

Homework Statement

Just need someone else to double check more work. I just want to know if I'm separating these variables correctly.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2} = c^2\nabla^2u[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Allow [itex]u(\rho, \theta, \phi, t) = T(t)\omega(\rho, \theta, \phi)[/itex]

where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the radius, [itex]\theta[/itex] is the cylindrical angle and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the azimuthal angle. Then, separating the time dependent variable is as follows,

[tex]\frac{T''(t)}{c^2T(t)} = \frac{\nabla^2\omega}{\omega} = -\lambda[/tex]

From this, I know the time dependent ODE. The problem I'm having is with the spatial variable separation. Now we have,

[tex]\nabla^2\omega = -\lambda\omega[/tex]

Allow [itex]\omega(\rho, \theta, \phi) = P(\rho)\Theta(\theta)\Phi(\phi)[/itex], then we get

[tex]\frac{\Theta\Phi}{\rho^2}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \frac{P\Theta}{\rho^2sin\phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \frac{P\Phi}{\rho^2sin^2\phi}\frac{d^2\Theta}{d \theta^2} + \lambda P\Theta\Phi = 0[/tex]

By dividing by [itex]\frac{P\Theta\Phi}{\rho^2sin^2 \phi}[/itex], we can isolate the theta variable and move it to the other side of the equation, this introduces a separation constant, [itex]\mu[/itex]. We get:

[tex]\frac{sin^2 \phi}{P}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \frac{sin \phi}{\Phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \lambda\rho^2 sin^2 \phi = -\frac{d^2\Theta}{d \theta^2} = \mu[/tex]

Solving the theta ODE (with periodic BC) gives [itex]\mu = m^2, m = 0, 1, 2, ...[/itex]

and we can move on to the next step, namely, finding our ODEs for rho and phi.

[tex]\frac{sin^2 \phi}{P}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \frac{sin \phi}{\Phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \lambda\rho^2 sin^2 \phi - m^2 = 0[/tex]

Divide by [itex]sin^2 \phi[/itex] and shuffle equations to get the rho and phi dependent ODEs with separation constant [itex]\nu[/itex]

[tex]\frac{1}{P}\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + \lambda\rho^2 = -\frac{1}{sin \phi \Phi}\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + \frac{m^2}{sin^2 \phi} = \nu[/tex]

Finally, we end up with our ODEs for rho and phi,

[tex]\frac{d}{d\rho}(\rho^2 \frac{dP}{d\rho}) + (\lambda\rho^2 - \nu)P = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{d\phi}(sin \phi \frac{d\Phi}{d\phi}) + (-\nu sin \phi - \frac{m^2}{sin \phi})\Phi = 0[/tex]

I have a couple questions about this, it seems that I have a couple signs mixed up (compared to my book (Haberman)) and I don't know if I have done this entirely correctly. I greatly value your responses. Thank you!

- Tony

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Tony,

Thank you for sharing your work with us. It looks like you have separated the variables correctly. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you have the correct signs and constants. I would recommend going through your calculations again and carefully checking each step. It may also be helpful to compare your work with the solutions in your textbook or with other resources online.

Additionally, I noticed that you have not included the boundary conditions for your problem. It is important to consider these when solving the ODEs for rho and phi, as they will affect the solutions. Make sure to include these in your calculations and check that your final solutions satisfy the boundary conditions.

Overall, your work looks good and it seems that you have a good understanding of separating variables and solving ODEs. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Related to PDE Separating Variables for 3d spherical wave equation

What is the 3D spherical wave equation?

The 3D spherical wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of a wave in three dimensions. It takes into account the spherical symmetry of the wave and is often used in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics.

What does "separating variables" mean in the context of the 3D spherical wave equation?

"Separating variables" refers to a technique used to solve partial differential equations, where the solution is expressed as a product of functions of different variables. In the case of the 3D spherical wave equation, this involves separating the radial, azimuthal, and polar variables.

Why is the 3D spherical wave equation important in scientific research?

The 3D spherical wave equation is important because it accurately describes the behavior of waves in three dimensions, which is crucial in many scientific fields. It allows researchers to make predictions and analyze data related to a wide range of phenomena, from sound waves to electromagnetic radiation.

What are some real-world applications of the 3D spherical wave equation?

The 3D spherical wave equation has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of sound waves in a concert hall, designing antennas for wireless communication, and modeling the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

What are some challenges in solving the 3D spherical wave equation using the separation of variables method?

One of the main challenges in solving the 3D spherical wave equation using the separation of variables method is finding the appropriate boundary conditions for the solution. This can be a complex process, especially when dealing with more complicated systems. Additionally, the method may not always yield a complete solution, and further techniques may be necessary to obtain an accurate solution.