Quadrupole moment tensor calculation for ellipsoid

LeoJakob
Determine the element ##Q_{11}## of the quadrupole tensor for a homogeneously charged rotationally symmetric ellipsoid,
$$\rho=\rho_{0}=\text { const. for } \frac{x_{1}^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{x_{2}^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{x_{3}^{2}}{c^{2}} \leq 1 $$

The formula is $$Q_{i j}=\int \rho(\mathbf{r})\left(3 x_{i} x_{j}-\|\mathbf{x}\|^{2} \delta_{i j}\right) d^{3} \mathbf{r}$$

I would calculate: $$ Q_{11}=\rho_{0} \int d z \int \rho d \rho \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \left(3 \rho^{2} \cos ^{2} \phi-\left(\rho^{2}+z^{2}\right)\right) $$

With ##x_1=\rho \cos \phi,\quad x_2=\rho \sin \phi, \quad x_3= z##, but in the solution they calculate:

$$ Q_{11}=\rho_{0} \int d z \int \rho d \rho \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \theta\left(1-\frac{\rho^{2}}{a^{2}}-\frac{z^{2}}{c^{2}}\right)\left(3 \rho^{2} \cos ^{2} \phi-\left(\rho^{2}+z^{2}\right)\right) $$

Where does the term ##\theta\left(1-\frac{\rho^{2}}{a^{2}}-\frac{z^{2}}{c^{2}}\right)## come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the restriction of the integral to the ellipsoid.

Likes LeoJakob
Orodruin said:
That is the restriction of the integral to the ellipsoid.
Ahhh, thank you very much! So it is a Heaviside step function , please correct me if I misunderstood you.

Yes, it is the Heaviside function.

Likes LeoJakob

Related to Quadrupole moment tensor calculation for ellipsoid

1. How do you calculate the quadrupole moment tensor for an ellipsoid?

To calculate the quadrupole moment tensor for an ellipsoid, you first need to determine the shape and size of the ellipsoid using its semi-axes lengths. Then, you can use the formula for the quadrupole moment tensor of an ellipsoid, which involves integrals over the volume of the ellipsoid.

2. What information does the quadrupole moment tensor provide for an ellipsoid?

The quadrupole moment tensor for an ellipsoid provides information about the distribution of mass within the ellipsoid and how that distribution affects its gravitational and electromagnetic properties. It can also be used to calculate the ellipsoid's moments of inertia and its response to external fields.

3. How is the quadrupole moment tensor related to the shape of an ellipsoid?

The quadrupole moment tensor is related to the shape of an ellipsoid through its moments of inertia, which depend on the distribution of mass within the ellipsoid. As the shape of the ellipsoid changes, so do its moments of inertia and, consequently, its quadrupole moment tensor.

4. Can the quadrupole moment tensor be used to study the deformation of an ellipsoid?

Yes, the quadrupole moment tensor can be used to study the deformation of an ellipsoid because it provides information about how the mass distribution within the ellipsoid is affected by changes in its shape. By analyzing the quadrupole moment tensor, one can determine how the ellipsoid's deformation affects its physical properties.

5. Are there any simplifications or approximations that can be made when calculating the quadrupole moment tensor for an ellipsoid?

Yes, there are simplifications and approximations that can be made when calculating the quadrupole moment tensor for an ellipsoid, depending on the specific characteristics of the ellipsoid. For example, if the ellipsoid is close to a sphere, certain terms in the quadrupole moment tensor formula can be neglected to simplify the calculation.