Path of Light- Calculus of Variation

In summary, the homework statement is that the time taken for light to travel along a path from the point (a,yI) to the point (b,yF) is a function of x and y only and is given by T=\int L(y,y')dxwhere L is a function you should determine.
Newtons Balls

Homework Statement

Let y(x) represent the path of light through a variable transparent medium. The speed of light at some point (x,y) in the medium is a function of x alone and is written c(x). Write down an expression for the time T taken for the light to travel along some arbitrary path y(x) from the point (a,yI) to the point (b,yF) in the form:
T=[tex]\int L(y,y')dx[/tex]
(between a and b, can't seem to add in limits on the integral sign)

where L is a function you should determine.

Homework Equations

S = [tex]\int \sqrt{1+y'^{2}}dx[/tex]

I derived this though, don't think its meant to be a known equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well using calculus of variation I know you can formulate a path length as:
S = [tex]\int \sqrt{1+y'^{2}}dx[/tex]

So the time for the light to travel along this path should just be:

T= [tex]\int \frac{ \sqrt{1+y'^{2}}}{c(x)}dx [/tex]

However, this has a dependence on x where the question states it must be only in terms of y and y'. This is because in the first part of the question I had to derive the Euler-Legrange equation and as light takes the path which minimises time, you must plug this function L into the equation.

So, how do I get rid of the x dependence? If there's a trick or a technique involved could someone just inform me of the name so I can look it up for myself? I've read the classical mechanics textbook which is meant to accompany this course and can find nothing which helps with this.

Thank.

Physics news on Phys.org
can x be written as a function of y?

Well that's what has been running through my head the whole time, however everything that I have been given in the question I've posted. The only thing I can come up with is c(x) = c(y[tex]^{-1}[/tex](y)) as in the inverse function of y...of y. I don't think that helps...

Sorry if I'm being dense and there's something obvious going on here.

Related to Path of Light- Calculus of Variation

1. What is the "Path of Light" in the context of Calculus of Variation?

The "Path of Light" refers to the shortest path between two given points in a medium where light travels. In the context of Calculus of Variation, it is a mathematical concept used to find the optimal path between two points by minimizing a given functional.

2. How is Calculus of Variation related to optimization?

Calculus of Variation is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal path or function that minimizes a given functional. This is closely related to optimization, which involves finding the best solution to a problem by minimizing or maximizing a specific objective function.

3. What are some real-world applications of Calculus of Variation?

Calculus of Variation has numerous real-world applications, such as finding the optimal path for a spacecraft to travel between two planets, determining the shape of a bridge that can withstand the least amount of stress, and optimizing the trajectory of a missile to hit its target with the least amount of fuel consumption.

4. What is the Euler-Lagrange Equation and how is it used in Calculus of Variation?

The Euler-Lagrange Equation is a fundamental equation in Calculus of Variation that is used to find the optimal path or function. It is derived from the principle of stationary action, which states that the actual path or function that a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action functional.

5. Is it possible to apply Calculus of Variation to problems with multiple variables?

Yes, Calculus of Variation can be applied to problems with multiple variables. In these cases, the functional to be minimized becomes a functional of multiple functions, and the Euler-Lagrange Equation becomes a set of partial differential equations that must be solved simultaneously to find the optimal solution.