Path integrals and parameterization

In summary, In both problems, the integrals can be set up using the formula ##\displaystyle \int_r \mathbf{F} \ ds = \int_{a}^b \mathbf{F}(r(t))|r'(t)| \ dt## with the appropriate parametrization. In problem (a), the norm is constant at 1 since the path is the unit circle, while in problem (b), the norm is not relevant and the integral can be split into three separate integrals.
randomcat

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫ F ds over the curve C for:
a) F = (x, -y) and r(t) = (cos t, sin t), 0 ≤ t ≤ 2∏
b) F = (yz, xz, xy) where the curve C consists of straight-line segments joining (1, 0, 0) to (0, 1, 0) to (0, 0, 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I first found the norm:
r'(t) = (-sin t, cos t)
||r'(t)|| = 1
Now my question is, how do I set up the integral? I know that F = (cos t, -sin t), and I have found the norm, but I'm lost about how toI go about setting up the integral.

b) Let C1 be the vector from (1, 0, 0) to (0, 1, 0) and let C2 be the vector from (0, 1, 0) to (0, 0, 1)
I parametrize C1: r(t) = (1-t, t, 0)
C2: r(t) = (0, 1-t, t)
Again, I can find the norm easily once I have the parametrization, but how do I set up the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have a formula for this? It should be ##\displaystyle \int_r \mathbf{F} \ ds = \int_{a}^b \mathbf{F}(r(t))|r'(t)| \ dt##

Yes, the norm for the first problem was the constant 1 because the path is the unit circle. But there is no need to find the norm at all.

With [itex]\vec{F}= f(x,y)\vec{i}+ g(x,y)\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]d\vec{s}= dx\vec{i}+ dy\vec{j}[/itex], [itex]\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}= f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy[/itex]

And with parameterization x= x(t), y= y(t), that becomes simply
[tex]\int \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{s}= \int f(x,y)(dx/dt)dt+ g(x,y)(dy/dt)dt[/tex].

In problem (b), [itex]\vec{F}= x\vec{i}- y\vec{j}= cos(t)\vec{j}+ sin(t)\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]d\vec{s}= sin(t)dt\vec{i}- sin(t)dt\vec{j}[/itex].

For (b), again, the norm is not relevant. Do this as three separate integrals:
(I) from (1, 0, 0) to (0, 1, 0): x= 1- t, y= t, z= 0. [itex]d\vec{s}= -dt\vec{i}+ dt\vec{j}[/itex].
(II) from (0, 1, 0) to (0, 0, 1): x= 0, y= 1- t, z= t. [itex]d\vec{s}= -dt\vec{j}+ dt\vec{k}[/itex].
(III) from (0, 0, 1) to (1, 0, 0): x= t, y= 0, z= 1- t. [itex]d\vec{s}= dt\vec{i}- dt\vec{k}[/itex]

Related to Path integrals and parameterization

1. What are path integrals and how are they used in science?

Path integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the probability of a particle or system moving from one point to another in a given space. They are commonly used in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics to study the behavior of particles and systems at the microscopic level.

2. What is the difference between a path integral and a line integral?

A path integral is a type of line integral that is used to integrate a function along a specific path or curve. Unlike traditional line integrals, which are calculated by breaking a curve into infinitesimal segments, path integrals are calculated by considering all possible paths between two points. This makes them particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where particles can take many different paths between two points.

3. How do you parameterize a path for use in a path integral?

Parameterization is the process of finding a set of parameters that describe a given path or curve. In the context of path integrals, this involves finding a set of variables that describe the position and movement of a particle or system along a specific path. These parameters are then used in the path integral to calculate the probability of the particle's movement.

4. What are some common applications of path integrals in science?

Path integrals have a wide range of applications in science, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and field theory. They are used to study the behavior of particles and systems at the microscopic level, as well as to make predictions about the behavior of complex systems. Some specific applications include calculating the energy levels of atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of particles in quantum field theory, and simulating the behavior of fluids and gases.

5. Are there any limitations to using path integrals in scientific research?

While path integrals are a powerful tool in many areas of science, they do have some limitations. For example, they can be difficult to calculate for systems with more than a few particles, and they may not accurately describe the behavior of macroscopic systems. Additionally, the assumptions and approximations made in using path integrals may not always hold true in all situations, leading to potential errors in calculations. Despite these limitations, path integrals remain an important and widely used tool in many areas of scientific research.