Help with a line integral please

In summary, the conversation is discussing a mathematical problem involving the integral of a function with a trigonometric expression. The simplified version of the problem involves finding the integral of a function involving cosine and sine, with a given range of values for the variable t. The conversation ends with the expert resolving the issue and successfully solving the integration by making a substitution.
Helloooo
Homework Statement
Show that the curve C given by
r=(a*cost*sint)i+(a*sin^2(t))j+(a*cos(t))k
, (0≤t≤pi/2)
lies on a sphere centred at the origin.
Find ∫zds of C
Relevant Equations
∫ds=∫F(r(t))·r'(t)dt
∫zds=∫acos(t)*( (acos(2t))^2+(2asin(t))^2+(-asin(t))^2 )^1/2 dt , (0≤t≤pi/2)
Simplified :
∫a^2cos(t)*(cos^2(2t)+5sin^2(t) )^1/2 dt , (0≤t≤pi/2)
However here i get stuck and i can´t find a way to rewrite it better or to integrate as it is.
Can i please get some help in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have [itex]dy/dt[/itex] incorrect; it should be [itex]2a \sin t \cos t = a \sin (2t)[/itex].

pasmith said:
I think you have [itex]dy/dt[/itex] incorrect; it should be [itex]2a \sin t \cos t = a \sin (2t)[/itex].
Oh okay!
I manged to solve the integration with the change and with the substitution u=sin(t)
Thank you!

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path or curve. It involves breaking the path into small segments and calculating the value of the function at each point, then summing these values to get the total value of the integral.

2. How do I solve a line integral?

To solve a line integral, you will need to use the appropriate formula for the type of integral you are dealing with (e.g. line integral of a scalar function, line integral of a vector field). You will also need to parameterize the path or curve, which involves expressing it in terms of a variable such as t. Then, you can plug in the values for each point on the path and evaluate the integral.

3. What is the significance of a line integral?

Line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, as they can be used to calculate work, force, and other physical quantities along a specific path. They are also important in vector calculus and can be used to find the flux of a vector field through a surface.

4. Can you provide an example of a line integral?

Sure! Let's say we have the line integral of the function f(x,y) = x + 2y along the curve C given by x = t, y = t^2, where t ranges from 0 to 1. We can parameterize this curve as r(t) = (t, t^2), and then the line integral becomes: ∫C (x + 2y) ds = ∫01 (t + 2t^2) √(1 + 4t^2) dt. We can then use integration techniques to evaluate this integral and get the final answer.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when dealing with line integrals?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when dealing with line integrals. For example, if the curve C is closed (i.e. it forms a loop), then the line integral is known as a closed line integral or a line integral around a closed curve. In this case, the value of the integral may depend on the direction of integration. Additionally, if the curve C is not smooth (i.e. it has corners or discontinuities), then the line integral may need to be broken up into smaller segments and evaluated separately.