Pascals Triangle (Checkerboard Question)

• Thread starter crosby87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the checker piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time, and the checker piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time, in this case, using the white squares only. There are two possible paths to reach the square labeled "X."
crosby87
Hello,

I'm a little confused as to how I can go about solving this problem.. Any help is appreciated.

Homework Statement

Draw and copy the following checkerboard. Then, on the board, show all of the paths that the checker piece can take to reach the bottom square marked with an “X,” without going through the two blacked-out squares. Remember, the checker piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time, in this case, using the white squares only. How many paths are there in total?

The Attempt at a Solution

In my answer I got 8 as the number of paths to reach the bottom square marked with an "X". Is this correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• checkerboard.jpg
    checkerboard.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,095
Physics news on Phys.org
I only find TWO paths to reach the X. The first move has exactly two choices. The remaining choices will all be along the same diagonal direction to reach the X white square. Your condition includes moving FORWARD only. If you deviate away from the main diagonal path straight to the X, then you will miss the X.

So your saying this would be the correct method?

Attachments

• checkerboard.jpg
    checkerboard.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,129
Those squares with the 4's and 6, and that 2 on the right wall nearest to the bottom need to be removed. You can't land on those squares and still reach the X.

Sorry guys, I don't know if its just me or what but I'm still not getting this :S

crosby87 said:
Sorry guys, I don't know if its just me or what but I'm still not getting this :S

There isn't much to get. When you get to the second square (either by first moving left or right), there is only 1 way to get to the X from that position and that is by moving diagonally straight towards it.

So essentially x would be.. 2?

That number for categorizing the labeled squares seems to fit. What you have wanted to know was how many paths are possible for reaching the square labeled "X". That answer is, two paths.

Ah man, guess I need to read the question properly next time! Thanks!

Related to Pascals Triangle (Checkerboard Question)

What is Pascals Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is a mathematical triangle that follows a specific pattern of numbers. Each number in the triangle is the sum of the two numbers directly above it, with the first and last numbers always being 1.

How is Pascals Triangle related to a checkerboard?

Pascal's Triangle can be used to solve the classic checkerboard problem, also known as the "Missing Square Puzzle". This puzzle involves arranging a set of square tiles on a checkerboard in a specific pattern, with one square missing. Using the numbers in Pascals Triangle, it is possible to determine the missing square's size and position on the checkerboard.

What is the significance of Pascals Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle has many important applications in mathematics and other fields. It can be used to calculate binomial coefficients, which are essential in probability and statistics. It also has connections to the Fibonacci sequence and fractals. Furthermore, Pascals Triangle has been used to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and computer science.

Is Pascals Triangle a perfect triangle?

Yes, Pascals Triangle is a perfect triangle because it follows a specific pattern and all of its numbers are integers. The triangle also has symmetry along the center and the numbers in each row are centered.

What are some interesting patterns in Pascals Triangle?

There are many interesting patterns in Pascals Triangle, including the diagonal sums, which form the Fibonacci sequence. The sum of each row is a power of 2, and the triangular numbers can be found by adding the numbers in any row. Additionally, the numbers in the triangle follow the same pattern as the coefficients in the binomial expansion.