Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces

• Thread starter SeththeBaller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the person is asking how many ways they can get to the square marked with X while following checker rules and avoiding black spaces. The expert summarizer counted two paths, one going left then right and the other going right then left. They also noted that there is no way to go around the black squares to the left. The conversation concluded with agreement that there are only two paths, both of which must go through the white square on the right side in the 5th row up from the lower left corner.
SeththeBaller
How many different ways can I get to the square marked with X if I can't go through the black spaces?

http://i.imgur.com/HCSoD.png

This is the original image. Essentially, how can I get to X abiding by checker rules (a piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time by only moving on the white squares. How many paths are there in total?

I counted two, because in order to get to the square directly beneath you, you must go either left then right or right then left. After that there is only one path to the x.
There is no way to go around the black squares to the left.

This is correct, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SeththeBaller! :wink:
SeththeBaller said:
… Essentially, how can I get to X abiding by checker rules (a piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time by only moving on the white squares. How many paths are there in total?

HCSoD.png

I counted two, because in order to get to the square directly beneath you, you must go either left then right or right then left. After that there is only one path to the x.
There is no way to go around the black squares to the left.

This is correct, right?

Yep, looks like it! :smile:

Me, too. All (i.e., both) paths have to go through the white square on the right side, in the 5th row up from the lower left corner. From that square there is only one path to the X.

Thanks guys!

Related to Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces

What is "Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces"?

"Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces" is a scientific game designed to test spatial reasoning and problem-solving skills. In the game, players must navigate a grid of squares without crossing through any black squares, using only a limited number of moves.

How does "Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces" help improve spatial reasoning skills?

The game requires players to think critically about the spatial relationships between squares and plan out their moves in advance. This helps to improve spatial reasoning skills, which are important for many tasks in science and everyday life.

What makes "Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces" a scientific game?

The game is designed based on principles of spatial reasoning and problem-solving, which are both important concepts in scientific research. It also allows for data collection and analysis, making it a valuable tool for studying these skills.

Can "Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces" be played by all ages?

Yes, the game can be played by people of all ages. However, it is recommended for children ages 8 and up, as it may be too challenging for younger children.

Is there a specific strategy or approach to winning "Reach X: Find the Path Without Going Through Black Spaces"?

There is no one specific strategy for winning the game, as each level presents a unique challenge. However, some general tips for success include planning out moves in advance, paying attention to patterns and symmetries in the grid, and using the limited number of moves wisely.