Pascal's Triangle: 40 Paths to Spell BINOMIAL

Is that what you meant by "using Pascal's triangle"? If you really mean that you can go down and left or down and right, then at each step except the last, you have 2 choices as before, but at the last step you have only 1 choice. Thus you have 2^6*1=64 possible paths. Is that what you meant by "using Pascal's triangle"? In summary, there are 2^6*1=64 different paths if you can only move diagonally downwards to the left or right, and there are 2^7=128 different paths if you can also move downwards.
kerrwilk

Homework Statement

How many different paths will spell the word BINOMIAL in the following arrangement(moving diagonally downwards to the left or right)?

...B
...I I
..N N N
O O O O
.M M M
...I I
...A
...L L

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from B using Pascal's Triangle

...B
..1 1
.1 2 1
1 3 3 1
.4 6 4
.10 10
.20 20

There are 40 different paths. Is this correct? Thanks for your help.

Note: I only put dots to center the pattern. They have no meaning.

Physics news on Phys.org
kerrwilk said:
How many different paths will spell the word BINOMIAL in the following arrangement(moving diagonally downwards to the left or right)?

...B
...I I
..N N N
O O O O
.M M M
...I I
...A
...L L

You can use the CODE tags to line up letters better, like this:
Code:
   B
  I I
 N N N
O O O O
 M M M
  I I
   A
  L L

It's not clear what you mean by that. You title this "Pascal's triangle" but you appear to have the number of letters in each row coming back to 1 at "A" and than back to 2 at "L".

If you really mean Pascal's triangle so that the number of letters in each row increases so that there are 8 "L"s in the final row, then at each step (at each letter) except the last, you have 2 choices which way to go. Since you are making 7 choices, you have [itex]2^7[/itex] possible paths.

Related to Pascal's Triangle: 40 Paths to Spell BINOMIAL

What is Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is a triangular array of numbers, named after French mathematician Blaise Pascal. Each number in the triangle is the sum of the two numbers directly above it.

What is the significance of "40 Paths to Spell BINOMIAL" in Pascal's Triangle?

The phrase "40 Paths to Spell BINOMIAL" refers to the number of paths that can be taken from the top of Pascal's Triangle to the number 40. These paths represent the different ways that the binomial coefficient can be calculated.

What is the binomial coefficient and how is it related to Pascal's Triangle?

The binomial coefficient represents the number of ways to choose a subset of k objects from a set of n objects. It is calculated using the numbers in Pascal's Triangle and is located in the nth row and kth column of the triangle.

How can Pascal's Triangle be used in probability and statistics?

Pascal's Triangle can be used to calculate combinations and probabilities in experiments with multiple outcomes. The triangle can also be used to find the coefficients in the expansion of binomial expressions, which is useful in statistics and probability calculations.

What are some other applications of Pascal's Triangle?

In addition to its use in probability and statistics, Pascal's Triangle has applications in various fields such as combinatorics, number theory, and geometry. It can also be used to find coefficients in the expansion of polynomials, and in solving certain types of recurrence relations.