Particle physics calculations?

In summary, the speaker is having trouble getting the correct answers from their calculator when working on particle physics equations. They have tried using brackets and adjusting their calculator's settings, but are still unable to get the desired result. They are seeking help and advice on how to solve this issue.
bobo343
I'm currently studying physics at A-level, and for particle physics I'm fine about the theory of the equations, I remember what equations to use etc, but I can't seem to get the right answers from my calculator.

For example, when working out the specific charge of a carbon ion with Z = 6, A = 13 and a charge of 2+, the necessary equation would be Specific Charge = charge/mass.

Which is: 2 x 1.60 x 10^-19 / 6 x 1.67 x 10^-27 + 7 x 1.67 x 10^-27 + 4 x 9.11 x 10^-31

When shortened is: 2 x 1.60 x 10^-19 / 13 x 1.67 x 10^-27

Which finally should = 1.47 x10^7 C kg^-1

But when I enter 2 x 1.60 x 10^-19 / 13 x 1.67 x 10^-27 into my calculator, I get a vastly different answer of 4.110769231 x 10^-47

Is there something I'm doing wrong? We haven't done particle physics in a while and I might be missing a vital step.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you use brackets around the terms to ensure your calculator is doing exactly what you want it to.
(2x1.6x10^-19) / (13x1.67x10^-27)
and try again now.

Alright, with the brackets I get 14739751.27.

Is there any way I can set my calculator to give me the answer with the x10^n? (n just being whatever power)

Thanks for the help.

It depends on the calculator, but mine has a "scientific" setting, where the results in exponentials come up as e.g. 3.4567Exp8.
It's probably not a bad idea to practise putting things in the right scientific notation anyway though.

Related to Particle physics calculations?

1. What is particle physics and why is it important?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the smallest known particles and their interactions. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they behave, which can lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the world.

2. What are the basic principles of particle physics?

The basic principles of particle physics include the study of subatomic particles, their properties and interactions, and the use of mathematical equations and theories to explain their behavior. These principles are used to make predictions and perform calculations in particle physics.

3. What types of calculations are involved in particle physics?

Particle physics involves a wide range of calculations, including calculations of particle properties such as mass and charge, calculations of particle interactions and decay rates, and calculations of energy levels and particle accelerations. These calculations often involve complex mathematical equations and simulations.

4. How do scientists perform particle physics calculations?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, experimental data, and advanced computational techniques to perform particle physics calculations. They may also use large particle accelerators and detectors to collect data and test their calculations against real-world observations.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle physics calculations?

Particle physics calculations have many real-world applications, including in the development of medical imaging technologies, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators for industrial and research purposes. They also play a crucial role in our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe.