EPE and particle collision (grade 12)

In summary: So I now have ##V = - \frac{m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2}{m_1 + m_2}## and ##m_1 (v_1 - V) = m_2 (v_2 - V)##. So I plug in the numbers and get ##V = -2.5 \times 10^6 m/s##. Plugging that back in, I get ##r = 5.1 \times 10^{-15}##.In summary, the distance of closest approach for an alpha particle and a proton moving at different velocities and charges can be calculated using conservation of momentum and energy in the center-of-mass frame. Taking into account
krbs

Homework Statement

An alpha particle moving at 3.0 x 106 m/s [east] (m2 = 6.64 x 10-27 kg and q2 = +3.2 x 10-19 C) is headed directly towards a proton moving at 5.0 x 106 m/s [west] (m1 = 1.67 x 10-27 kg, q1 = 1.6 x 10-19 C). Find the distance of closest approach, assuming that they start from a very far apart position.

Homework Equations

Ek + Ek = EE

The Attempt at a Solution

##0.5(6.64 \times 10^{-27}kg)(3.0 \times 10{^6} m/s)^2\ +\ (0.5)(1.67 \times 10^{-27}kg)(-5.0 \times 10^6m/s)^2\ =\ \frac{(9.0\times10^9)(3.2 \times 10^{-19}C)(1.6\times10^{-19}C)}{r}\\
r\ =\ \frac{(9.0\times10^9)(3.2 \times 10^{-19}C)(1.6\times10^{-19}C)}{0.5(6.64 \times 10^{-27}kg)(3.0 \times 10{^6} m/s)^2\ +\ (0.5)(1.67 \times 10^{-27}kg)(-5.0 \times 10^6m/s)^2}\\
r\ =\ 9.1\times10^{-15}##

Physics news on Phys.org
To get that close, they would have to convert their whole kinetic energy in the lab frame to potential energy - they would have to be at rest briefly. Is that possible, or do you see a conservation law that could be violated?

Likes krbs
I'm lost, but here's my best guess. The only other conservation law I can think of is momentum. I assumed I was not violating this law because it's my understanding that it applies to the instant before and after a collision. If the particles are never at rest, then some of the energy at collision has to be kinetic. To determine the final kinetic energies I'll need their final velocities which I can determine through conservation of momentum.

krbs said:

Homework Statement

An alpha particle moving at 3.0 x 106 m/s [east] (m2 = 6.64 x 10-27 kg and q2 = +3.2 x 10-19 C) is headed directly towards a proton moving at 5.0 x 106 m/s [west] (m1 = 1.67 x 10-27 kg, q1 = 1.6 x 10-19 C). Find the distance of closest approach, assuming that they start from a very far apart position.

Homework Equations

Ek + Ek = EE

The Attempt at a Solution

##0.5(6.64 \times 10^{-27}kg)(3.0 \times 10{^6} m/s)^2\ +\ (0.5)(1.67 \times 10^{-27}kg)(-5.0 \times 10^6m/s)^2\ =\ \frac{(9.0\times10^9)(3.2 \times 10^{-19}C)(1.6\times10^{-19}C)}{r}\\
r\ =\ \frac{(9.0\times10^9)(3.2 \times 10^{-19}C)(1.6\times10^{-19}C)}{0.5(6.64 \times 10^{-27}kg)(3.0 \times 10{^6} m/s)^2\ +\ (0.5)(1.67 \times 10^{-27}kg)(-5.0 \times 10^6m/s)^2}\\
r\ =\ 9.1\times10^{-15}##

Such problems are most easily analyzed in the so-called center-of-mass (or center-of-momentum) frame (CM), where the total momentum = 0 initially. If you use non-relatavistic mechanics, then the total momentum in a new (moving) reference frame with velocity ##V## (west) in the initial (lab) frame would be ##m_1 (v_1 - V) + m_2 (v_2 - V)## in the x-direction. Equate that to 0 to find ##V##. (Note that ##v_1 = 3.0 \times 10^6## and ##v_2 = - 5.0 \times 10^6## (all in m/s), so these are velocities, not speeds. Then the initial kinetic energies in the CM frame is ##\frac{1}{2} m_1 (v_1 - V)^2## and ##\frac{1}{2} m_2 (v_2 - V)^2##.

Since the collision is perfectly elastic (assuming negligible radiation due to acceleration of the charges), the total momentum = 0 and the total kinetic + potential energy remains constant at all times in the CM frame. At the closest approach the particles are both stationary in the CM frame

Likes krbs
Thank you both for your help

Yikes. I got access to the solution to this question and now I'm confused for a different reason.

blah.jpg

I'm only supposed to take into account magnitude, not direction of velocity? I thought one of them would be negative, since they're moving in opposite directions.

You are correct, krbs. As you say, the direction of the velocity needs to be taken into account when calculating the momentum. So, one of the velocities should be negative. The solution shown in the attachment is incorrect.

Likes krbs
Thanks, thought I was still getting it wrong.

1. What is the significance of EPE and particle collision in grade 12 physics?

EPE (elastic potential energy) and particle collision are important concepts in grade 12 physics as they help us understand the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. These concepts are essential for understanding topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. How is EPE calculated in a particle collision?

EPE is calculated by multiplying the spring constant (k) of the colliding particles by the square of the distance between them (x). This gives us the potential energy stored in the particles due to their interaction.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the colliding particles is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In inelastic collisions, some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the particles.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply to EPE and particle collisions?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This applies to EPE and particle collisions as the momentum of the colliding particles before and after the collision must be equal.

5. Can EPE and particle collisions be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, these concepts can be applied to real-life situations such as car crashes, sports collisions, and atomic interactions. They help us understand the dynamics of these events and can be used to make predictions and calculations.