Physics 12 Electric Energy Question

In summary: Does that make sense?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the final speed of a proton that starts at rest and travels through a potential difference of 8000V. The equations used are ΔEk=-ΔEe, Ee=qV, and v=root [-(2qΔV)/m]. It is determined that the proton will move to a lower potential and that its change in kinetic energy will be equal to the negative change in potential energy. The final speed of the proton is given by v=root[-2(1.6.x10^-19)(8000))/1.67 x 10^-27]. The conversation also considers the scenario if it were an electron instead of a proton.
Alameen Damer

Homework Statement

A proton starts at rest and travels through a potential difference of 8000V. What's it's final speed.

Homework Equations

ΔEe+ΔEk=0
ΔEk=-ΔEe
Ee=qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the correct magnitude, but I am getting the wrong sign.

Ek=-ΔEe
1/2mv^2=-qΔV
v=root [-(2qΔV)/m]

Note mass of proton=1.67 x 10^-27 kg

v=root[-2(1.6.x10^-19)(8000))/1.67 x 10^-27]

I get an error because obviously there isn't a root for a negative value of [-2(1.6.x10^-19)(8000))/1.67 x 10^-27].
I want to know where I am going wrong in terms of positive/negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question doesn't state which way the potential difference is, it only gives you the magnitude.
But you are given that it starts at rest and only moves because of the field, so which way will it move, to a higher potential or to a lower one?

Won't it be lower because it's losing potential electric energy and getting kinetic energy?

Alameen Damer said:
Won't it be lower because it's losing potential electric energy and getting kinetic energy?
An electron has a negative charge. If it moves to a lower potential does it gain or lose PE?

Lose

Alameen Damer said:
Lose
Try a different question. If a positively charged particle moves to a lower electrical potential, does it gain or lose PE?

Oh, does the elctron gain due to the negative charge? If so then the positive particle would lose PE.

Alameen Damer said:
Oh, does the elctron gain due to the negative charge? If so then the positive particle would lose PE.
An electron moving to a lower electrical potential would gain PE: ##q \Delta V > 0##. So which way is this electron moving?

The proton would be moving against the electric field I believe.

However, this question is talking about a proton.

Alameen Damer said:
The proton would be moving against the electric field I believe.

However, this question is talking about a proton.
Oh, I'm sorry - don't know why I read it as electron.
So, restart.
The proton will move to a lower potential, so ##\Delta V < 0##, ##\Delta PE = q \Delta V < 0##. Now, is ##\Delta KE## equal to ##\Delta PE## or to ##-\Delta PE##?

KE will be equal to -PE

Alameen Damer said:
KE will be equal to -PE
Right. So does that get rid of your minus sign?

Yes, but how come when solving algebraically there is a minus sign. I want to understand it algebraically.

Alameen Damer said:
Yes, but how come when solving algebraically there is a minus sign. I want to understand it algebraically.
I thought I explained it algebraically.
The proton will move to a lower potential, so ##\Delta V < 0##, ##\Delta PE = q \Delta V < 0##, ##\Delta KE = -\Delta PE= -q \Delta V > 0##.
If it were an electron, both the sign of the charge and the sign of the potential difference would change, so the change in KE would still be positive.

Related to Physics 12 Electric Energy Question

1. What is electric energy?

Electric energy is a type of energy that is created by the flow of electric charge, typically through a conductor. It is used to power many of the electronic devices we use on a daily basis.

2. How is electric energy created?

Electric energy is typically created through the use of generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. This can be done through a variety of methods, such as using steam turbines, hydroelectric power, or wind turbines.

3. What are the units of electric energy?

The SI unit for electric energy is the joule (J). However, in practical applications, the kilowatt-hour (kWh) is often used. 1 kWh is equivalent to 3.6 million joules.

4. How is electric energy measured?

Electric energy is measured using an electrical meter, which can track the amount of electricity being used over a certain period of time. The unit of measurement for electric energy is kilowatt-hours (kWh).

5. What are some examples of electric energy?

Some common examples of electric energy include powering lights, heating and cooling systems, appliances, and electronic devices such as phones and computers. It is also used in transportation, such as powering electric cars or trains.