Partial Fractions: Solve Integral of 1/y^2-1 dx

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a specific integral using the decomposition method. The individual has attempted to use partial fractions but has encountered difficulties. They then ask for tips or the solution to the problem. The conversation continues with the individual sharing their progress and receiving helpful tips from others. Eventually, the integral is solved using the partial fractions method and the conversation ends with a note of gratitude.
The_ArtofScience
Hi!

There's this one problem that I'm having troubles with. I've tried using the decomposition method, but I've ended up getting a messy answer. If someone can give me tips or the solution to the problem, I'll appreciate it. Here's the problem: solve the integral of 1/ y^2-1 dx.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean [tex]\int\frac{1}{x^2-1}dx[/tex].

So if you want to use partial fractions, you can decompose it as such:
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2-1}=\frac{A}{x+1}+\frac{B}{x-1}[/tex]. How would you continue?

I used that method however it came out pretty ugly.

(1) A/ y+1 + B/ y-1

(2) 1 = (y+1) (y-1) A/ y+1 + (y+1) (y-1) B/ y-1 -I multiplied each side by the LCD

(3) 1 = A(y-1) +B(y+1) -Cancelled algebraically

(4) 1 = y(A+B) + (-A+B)

Since there's only one constant, am I assume that (A+B) =1 and similarly that -A+B =1? In order to identify A and B, I set up the system of equations as:

A+B =1
-A+B= 1

I know there's something wrong here because for any subsitution I would get "0" Plus, I've never seen a partial decomp problem where A and B would equal to the same number.

Last edited:
A little mistake at the end. Since there is no y term on the left side, you require A+B = 0, while -A + B = 1.

Thanks Nicksauce,

The only rational answer I can see why A+B can equal to 0 is because the costants on both sides of the equation are equal somehow

Here's what I got from using that helpful tip

(1) 1/ y^2-1 = A/ y-1 + B/ y+1

(2) -1/2/ y-1 + 1/2/ y+1

(3) integral 1/ y^2-1 dx = integral - dx/ 2(y-1) + dx/ 2(y+1)

(4) -1/2 integral dx/ y-1 + 1/2 integral dx/ y+1

= 1/2 ln (y+1) -1/2 ln (y-1) whew!

= 1/2 ln ((y-1)/(y+1))

Thanks for the help! :-)

Last edited:
No problemo.

Related to Partial Fractions: Solve Integral of 1/y^2-1 dx

What is a partial fraction decomposition?

A partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate. It involves finding the individual fractions that make up the original function.

Why do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used to simplify integrals, making them easier to solve. By breaking down a rational function into smaller fractions, we can apply known integration techniques to each individual fraction.

How do we solve an integral using partial fractions?

To solve an integral using partial fractions, we first decompose the rational function into simpler fractions. Then, we integrate each individual fraction using known integration techniques. Finally, we combine the integrals to get the overall solution.

What is the general form of a partial fraction?

The general form of a partial fraction is A/(x-a), where A is a constant and a is a real number. However, there are also cases where the partial fraction may take the form of A/(x-a)^n, where n is a positive integer.

What are some common strategies for solving partial fractions?

Some common strategies for solving partial fractions include factoring the denominator, setting up a system of equations, and using the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to choose the most efficient strategy depending on the complexity of the partial fraction.