Partial Fraction Integration problem

In summary: So, if you want to solve for A and B from the equation 4x- 15= A*x+B, you can solve for x in terms of A and B, and then choose two values for x and use the algebra to solve for A and B.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

img5.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to solve this question and I know that partial fractions is the intended method. I can do the long division easy, which gives:

img15.gif

Setting up for A and B, I get:

img16.gif

which produces:

4x-15= A(x-2)2 + B(x-2)

From here, I have no idea how to use Gaussian elimination or x values to isolate for A and B. The answers are A=4 and B=-7, but I don't know how they got there. Anyone able to give me a nudge?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your last step is correct.

If you want to clear the (x-2)^2 term from the denominator, you multiply both sides of the equation by that factor, which leads to the equation,

4x - 15 = A*(x-2) + B

which, on expanding, gives

4x - 15 = A*x - 2*A + B

equating the coefficients of the various terms,

4x = A*x

which implies A = 4, and -15 = B - 2* A or -15 = B - 2*4, or B = -7

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
I don't think your last step is correct.

If you want to clear the (x-2)^2 term from the denominator, you multiply both sides of the equation by that factor, which leads to the equation,

4x - 15 = A*(x-2) + B

which, on expanding, gives

4x - 15 = A*x - 2*A + B

equating the coefficients of the various terms,

4x = A*x

which implies A = 4, and -15 = B - 2* A or -15 = B - 2*4, or B = -7

I guess I didn't understand as well as I thought! Thanks so much for pointing this out SteamKing!

Since
[tex]\frac{4x- 15}{(x- 2)^2}= \frac{A}{(x- 2)}+ \frac{B}{(x- 2)^2}[/tex]
or, equivalently,
[tex]4x- 15= A(x- 2)+ B[/tex]
is to be true for all x, choosing any two values for x will give two equations to solve for A and B.

Obviously, x= 2 will simplify a lot: 4(2)- 15= -7= B. Taking, say, x= 0 (just because it is simple) gives -15= -2A+ B and we know that B= -7: -15= -2a- 7 so 2a= -7+ 15= 8 and a= 4.

But any two values of x will give two equations for A and B.

Related to Partial Fraction Integration problem

1. What is partial fraction integration?

Partial fraction integration is a mathematical method used to integrate rational functions, which are functions that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate.

2. When is partial fraction integration used?

Partial fraction integration is commonly used in calculus, particularly when integrating rational functions. It is also used in solving differential equations and in other areas of mathematics and engineering.

3. How do you solve a partial fraction integration problem?

To solve a partial fraction integration problem, you first need to factor the numerator and denominator of the rational function. Then, you set up equations using the coefficients of the factored terms and solve for the unknown coefficients. Finally, you integrate each simplified fraction and combine the results.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction integration?

Partial fraction integration allows us to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to integrate. It also helps us to solve more complicated integration problems that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction integration?

Partial fraction integration can only be used on rational functions, so it cannot be applied to all types of functions. It also requires a certain level of algebraic skills and may become more complex for higher degree polynomials. Additionally, it may not always result in a simpler form of the original function.