Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, the conversation is about dividing a fraction with a greater numerator than denominator and the steps to follow to solve the problem. The solution can be found by simplifying the fraction using long division or by rewriting it in a different form. The process of rewriting the fraction involves factoring and simplifying the numerator and denominator separately. The result is a simplified expression with a constant term and a fraction in the denominator.
shamieh
Quick question... I know that if the numerator is greater than the denominator I need to divide out by long division BUT If the numerator is equal to the denominator (the exponent is what I'm talking about to be specific) then, do I need to do anything? Because I'm stuck on this problem

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{3t - 2}{t + 1} dt\)Some how they are getting like 3(t-5) + 1 or something weird.. I don't understand..What is the first step I should do..

Some how they are changing it... Here it is if you'd like to see it. They aren't doing long division they are doing something else weird... http://www.slader.com/textbook/9780538497909-stewart-calculus-early-transcendentals-7th-edition/492/exercises/8/#

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean now I see what they're doing but I don't see how I'm supposed to just KNOW that 3(t + 1) - 5 is another form of 3t - 2

Also how are they getting rid of the \(\displaystyle (t + 1)\) in the numerator and just saying \(\displaystyle 3 - \frac{5}{(t + 1)}\) is this magic??

I would write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3t-2}{t+1}=\frac{3t+3 - 5}{t+1}=\frac{3(t+1)}{t+1}-\frac{5}{t+1}=3-\frac{5}{t+1}\)

Hello, shamieh!

You can always use Long Division.

. . [tex]\begin{array}{ccccc} &&&& 3 \\
&& --&--&-- \\
t+1 & ) & 3t & - & 2 \\
&& 3t & + & 3 \\
&& -- & -- & -- \\
&&& - & 5 \end{array}[/tex][tex]\text{Therefore: }\:\frac{3t-2}{t+1} \;=\;3 - \frac{5}{t+1}[/tex]

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition

What is Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is a mathematical method used to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions, in order to make it easier to integrate or solve.

When is Partial Fraction Decomposition used?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is commonly used in calculus and engineering, particularly in problems involving integration of rational functions.

What is the process for performing Partial Fraction Decomposition?

The process for performing Partial Fraction Decomposition involves factoring the denominator of a rational function, setting up a system of equations, solving for the unknown constants, and then rewriting the original rational function as a sum of simpler fractions.

Why is Partial Fraction Decomposition useful?

Partial Fraction Decomposition allows for the integration or solution of more complex rational functions by breaking them down into simpler fractions that are easier to work with. It also provides a way to find the roots of a polynomial function.

Are there any limitations to Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition can only be used for proper rational functions, where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. It also cannot be used for functions with repeated or complex roots.