Partial Fraction Decomposition Evaluation

In summary, the author solved a system of fractions in which the unknowns were x=-1/2 and x=2. They found that x^2-5x+16=a/(2x+1) + b/(x-2) + c/(x-2)^2.
shamieh
Ok I'm stuck

I have \(\displaystyle \int \frac{x^2 - 5x + 16}{(2x + 1)(x - 2)^2} \, dx\)

and I got to this part:

\(\displaystyle x^2 - 5x + 16 = A(x - 2)^2 + B(x - 2)(x + \frac{1}{2}) + c(x + \frac{1}{2})\)So do i need to distribute all of these and factor out or is there a simpler way? I found a solution where they are just saying oh x = 2 and plugging it in but I am so lost on how they are getting that random value!

http://www.slader.com/textbook/9780538497909-stewart-calculus-early-transcendentals-7th-edition/493/exercises/20/#

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I see how they got x = 2. they distributed the a(x-2)^2 and then factored it out to get x = 2. Now I'm lost on how they get 5/2c = 10...Where does the 5/2 come from ?

You're missing that if you have an identity any value that you plug into the identity returns a true value. Remember how $(x+1)(x+2) = x^2+3x+2$. How about if I hid the 3 and replaced it with $b$ instead, and told you that $(x+1)(x+2) = x^2+bx+2$. You can plug any number in this equality and get $b$ / true identity. For example, $x = 1$ gives $6 = 1+b+2$ so $3 = b$. In your case they plugged in $x = 2$ because it makes barackets containing A and B zero, leaving out the one containing C.

$\displaystyle \underbrace{(2)^2 - 5(2) + 16}_{10} = A\underbrace{(2 - 2)^2}_{0} + B\underbrace{(2 - 2)}_{0}(x + \frac{1}{2}) + c\underbrace{(2 + \frac{1}{2})}_{5/2}$

Get it?

Hello, shamieh!

[tex]\int \frac{x^2 - 5x + 16}{(2x + 1)(x - 2)^2} \, dx[/tex]
Set-up: [tex]\frac{x^2-5x+16}{(2x+)(x-2)^2} \:=\:\frac{A}{2x+1} + \frac{B}{x-2} + \frac{C}{(x-2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]x^2-5x+16 \:=\:A(x-2)^2 + B(2x+1)(x-2) + C(2x+1)[/tex]

This statement is an identity.. It is true for any value of [tex]x.[/tex]

Let [tex]x=2\!:\;2^2-5(2)+16 \:=\:A(0^2) + B(5)(0) + C(5) [/tex]

. . which simplifies to: .[tex]10 \,=\,5C \;\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;\; \boxed{C = 2}[/tex]Let [tex]x = 0\!:\;0^2-5(0)+16 \:=\:A(4) + B(1)(-2) + C(1)[/tex]

. . which simplifies to: .[tex]16 \,=\,4A-2B + 2 \;\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;\;4A - 2B \,=\,14[/tex]Let [tex]x = 1\!:\;1^2-5(1)+16 \:=\:A(-1)^2 + B(3)(-1) + C(3) [/tex]

. . which simplifies to: .[tex]12 \,=\,A-3B+6 \;\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;\; A - 3B\,=\,6[/tex]Solve the system: .[tex]\boxed{A = 3},\;\boxed{B = \text{-}1}[/tex]Therefore:

. .[tex]\frac{x^2-5x+16}{(2x+1)(x-2)^2} \;=\;\frac{3}{2x+1} - \frac{1}{x-2} + \frac{2}{(x-2)^2}[/tex]

\(\displaystyle (x^2-5x+16)/(2x+1)(x-2)^2=a/(2x+1) + b/(x-2) + c/(x-2)^2\)
To find a,multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle (2x+1)\);

\(\displaystyle (x^2-5x+16)/(x-2)^2=a + b(2x+1)/(x-2) + c(2x+1)/(x-2)^2\)

Now,set 2x+1=0 or x=-1/2,

3=a+0+0=a

To find c,multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle (x-2)^2\);

\(\displaystyle (x^2-5x+16)/(2x+1)=a(x-2)^2/(2x+1) + b(x-2) + c\)

Now,set (x-2)=0 or x=2,

2=0+0+c=c

Now we know the values of a&c.So,to find b,set x=any number but -1/2 & 2,say 0,

4=3-b/2+1/2--> b=-1

So,the original fraction=\(\displaystyle 3/(2x+1) -1/(x-2) + 2/(x-2)^2\)

and the integrating the new fractions is easy.

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition Evaluation

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves expressing a fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with distinct denominators.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in calculus and engineering to simplify integrals, solve differential equations, and manipulate transfer functions in control systems.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, first factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, write the fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with the same denominator as the original fraction. Finally, solve for the unknown coefficients by equating the numerators of the original and decomposed fractions.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition can help simplify complex rational functions, making them easier to solve and manipulate. It can also be used to find the inverse Laplace transform of a function, which is useful in solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition can only be used for proper fractions (where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator). It also may not work for all rational functions, as some may not be factorable. In addition, the process can become more complicated for functions with repeated or complex roots.