Partial differentiation (maximize

In summary, the conversation discusses the weekly profits of two companies, Alpha AS and Beta AS, who manufacture competitive products. The companies set their sales prices for their products, x and y, respectively, and market research shows their weekly profits to be P(x) = -2x^2 + 12x + xy - y - 10 and Q(y) = -3y^2 + 18y +2xy -2x - 15, both in thousands of dollars. The managers of both companies know calculus and use it to determine the optimal selling prices for their products to maximize their individual weekly profits. However, they also have the option to enter into an agreement to maximize their total weekly profit. The conversation ends with the
kasse

Homework Statement

Suppose that Alpha AS and Beta AS manufacture competitive products, with the weekly sales of each product determined by the selling price of that product and the price of its competition. Suppose that Alpha sets a sales price of x dollars per unit for its product, while Beta sets a sales price og y dollars per unit for its product. Market research shows that the weekly profit made by Alpha is then

P(x) = -2x^2 + 12x + xy - y - 10

and that the weekly profit made by Beta is

Q(y) = -3y^2 + 18y +2xy -2x - 15

(both in thousands of dollars). The peculiar notation arises from the fact that x is the only variable under the control of Alpha and y is the only variable under the control of Beta.

Assume that both company managers know calculus and that each knows that the other knows calculus and has some common sense. What price will each manager set to maximize his company's weekly profit?

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the partial derivates dP/dx and dQ/dy, make them equal 0 and find x and y from the two equations y = 4x - 12 and x = 3y - 9.

This gives

x = 0,82 dollars
y = 3,27 dollars

However, the correct answer is supposed to be

x = 4,09 dollars
y = 4,36 dollars

What's my mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure how you found those eqns...I did it and got the correct answers..Your method is correct

Show me the partials you got for these:

[tex]P(x) = -2x^2 + 12x + xy - y - 10[/tex]

[tex]Q(y) = -3y^2 + 18y +2xy -2x - 15[/tex]

Yeah, your equations work fine. Check your algebra.

He shows the partials in the first post, y = 4x-12 and x = 3y-9

Ohh...Yeah..you must have just made an error calculating X and Y

suspenc3 said:
Ohh...Yeah..you must have just made an error calculating X and Y

You're right. Damn irritating mistake

How about if the managers entered into an agreement by which they plan to maximize their total weekly profit? What should be the selling price of each product?

Im kinda confused about your question, Isnt that what you just found?

No. It's the part (b) of the task:

"Now suppose that the two managers enter into an agreement (legal or otherwise) by which they plan to maximize their TOTAL weekly profit. Now what should be the selling price of each product? (We suppose that they will divide the resulting profit in an equitable way, but the details of this intriguing problem are not the issue). "

What I tried:

R(x,y) = P(x)+Q(y)
Find the partials, find eq.s for x and y and solve them. This gives y=8,4, but is supposed to be 6,53. I don't think this is the same mistake as I did in part (a).

Last edited:
Is this the correct method?

Related to Partial differentiation (maximize

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding other variables constant.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, while partial differentiation calculates the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding the others constant.

3. What is the purpose of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is used to find the maximum or minimum value of a multivariable function. It is also used to determine the direction of the steepest slope of a surface.

4. What is the process for finding the maximum or minimum value using partial differentiation?

The process involves taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to each variable, setting the resulting equations equal to zero, and solving for the critical points. The values of the critical points can then be tested to determine if they correspond to a maximum or minimum value.

5. Are there any real-world applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as economics, physics, and biology. It is used to optimize production processes, determine the direction of heat flow, and analyze the behavior of chemical reactions, to name a few examples.