Partial differentiation problem

In summary, the conversation involved finding the second order partial derivatives of a function involving the variables x and y. The first step was to find the first order partial derivative with respect to x, which was correctly calculated as 1 + cos(x^2y) * 2x. From there, the chain rule was used to find the second order partial derivative with respect to x, which was correctly calculated as -8xsinxy. The conversation then moved on to finding the first order partial derivative with respect to y, which was correctly calculated as cosx^2 + 1/y. The product rule was then used to find the second order partial derivative with respect to y, which was correctly calculated as 1/y or y^-1
DevonZA

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. If z=x+sin(##x^2##y) + ln y find ##\frac{\partial ^2z}{\partial x^2}## and ##\frac{\partial ^2z}{\partial y^2}##

2. Second order partial differentiation.

3. ##\frac {\partial z}{\partial x}## = 1 + ##cos(x^2y)## . (2x)
= ##\frac{\partial ^2z}{\partial x^2}## = ##\frac {\partial }{\partial x}## (1 + ##cos(x^2y)## . 2x)
= ##-sinx^2##y.2x.2
= ##-4xsinx^2##y

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial 2}## = ##cosx^2## + ##\frac{1}{y}##
##\frac{\partial ^2z}{\partial y^2}## = ##\frac{\partial }{\partial 2}## (##cosx^2## + ##\frac{1}{y}##)
= ##\frac{1}{y}## or ##y^{-1}##

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
DevonZA said:
1. If z=x+sin(##x^2##y) + ln y find ##\frac{\partial ^2z}{\partial x^2}## and ##\frac{\partial ^2z}{\partial y^2}##

3. ##\frac {\partial z}{\partial x}## = 1 + ##cos(x^2y)## . (2x)
= ##\frac{\partial ^2z}{\partial x^2}## = ##\frac {\partial }{\partial x}## (1 + ##cos(x^2y)## . 2x)
= ##-sinx^2##y.2x.2
Is this correct? what is the derivative of x2 ?

DevonZA said:

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}## = ##cosx^2## + ##\frac{1}{y}##

Is ##\frac{\partial cos(x^2y)}{\partial y}=cos(x^2) ## ?

that would mean that ##\frac{d cos(θ)}{dθ} = -sin(1)##

You should review the rules of differentiation and know them thoroughly before doing partials.

= -2sinxy.2x.2
= -8xsinxy
Is that correct?

Partial differentiation is new to me..clearly

You presumably wouldn't have a problem were you asked to compute the ordinary derivatives ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\left(x+\sin(x^2 b)+\ln b\right)## and ##\frac{d^2}{dy^2}\left(a + \sin(a^2 y) + \ln y\right)##, where ##a## and ##b## are some constants. Now replace ##a## and ##b## with ##x## and ##y## and voila! you have your partial derivatives. When computing the partial derivative of some function with respect to one of the independent variables, you simply treat the other independent variables as if they were constants.

DevonZA said:
= -2sinxy.2x.2
= -8xsinxy
Is that correct?

Partial differentiation is new to me..clearly

Yes, but I'm afraid the problem goes much deeper, back to taking ordinary derivatives.

What would be the derivative of this expression (no partials): ##\frac{d}{dx}cos(x^2y)## ?

SteamKing said:
Yes, but I'm afraid the problem goes much deeper, back to taking ordinary derivatives.

What would be the derivative of this expression (no partials): ##\frac{d}{dx}cos(x^2y)## ?

##\frac{d}{dx}cos(x^2y)## = -sin2x

DevonZA said:
##\frac{d}{dx}cos(x^2y)## = -sin2x
You need to use the chain rule.
##\frac{d}{dx} f(g(x)) = f'(g(x) ) g'(x) ##
So
##\frac{d}{dx} cos(x^2) = -sin(x^2) \frac{d}{dx} x^2 ##
Similarly,
##\frac{d}{dx} cos(x^2y) = -sin(x^2y) \frac{d}{dx} x^2y ##

Thanks again RUber that makes sense. I'm out at dinner currently but I'll attempt to answer the question again when I'm home later.

Okay I have no idea if I am doing this right but let me know..

Attachments

• 2.1.pdf
    469.5 KB · Views: 163
DevonZA said:
Okay I have no idea if I am doing this right but let me know..
You can't have "sin" or "cos" standing by themselves. These are functions which must show an argument of some kind.

You've calculated ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} ## correctly, but from that point on, it seems you are having trouble applying the chain rule correctly again.

Again, I repeat, you should not be working partial derivative problems unless and until you understand derivatives of a single variable thoroughly.

##\frac{d}{dx} x^2 y ## implies that you treat y as a constant. You can't just drop it out. It isn't like taking the derivative of x^2 +y.
Take your time. Be careful with your chain rule. You can get it done.

SteamKing said:
You can't have "sin" or "cos" standing by themselves. These are functions which must show an argument of some kind.

You've calculated ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} ## correctly, but from that point on, it seems you are having trouble applying the chain rule correctly again.

Again, I repeat, you should not be working partial derivative problems unless and until you understand derivatives of a single variable thoroughly.

I had a feeling that the trig functions were wrong..
I struggle with derivatives so yes I need more practice but time is not on my side. I'll try again

RUber said:
##\frac{d}{dx} x^2 y ## implies that you treat y as a constant. You can't just drop it out. It isn't like taking the derivative of x^2 +y.
Take your time. Be careful with your chain rule. You can get it done.
So I haven't calculated ## \frac {\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}## correctly then?

##\frac{d}{dx} x^2y = 2xy## ?

DevonZA said:
So I haven't calculated ## \frac {\partial{z}}{\partial{x}}## correctly then?

##\frac{d}{dx} x^2y = 2xy## ?
That's right.

Please see the attachment. If you could help me with the next step from here please, the trig functions are confusing me.

Attachments

• 2.1.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 128
That looks like you might need to use the product rule. Then for the part of the product that has d/dx cos(x^2y), use the chain rule again.
You have already shown that you can use these methods. Take your time and do them one by one.

Final answer attached. Thanks to all who helped.

Attachments

• question 2.1 answer.pdf
    385.6 KB · Views: 125
Likes RUber

Related to Partial differentiation problem

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to only one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus and is an important tool in many scientific fields, such as physics and economics.

2. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation allows us to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables changes, while keeping all other variables fixed. This is useful in understanding the behavior of complex systems and solving optimization problems.

3. What are the steps for solving a partial differentiation problem?

The steps for solving a partial differentiation problem are as follows:
1. Identify the function and the variable you are differentiating with respect to.
2. Treat all other variables as constants.
3. Use the rules of differentiation (such as the power rule and product rule) to find the derivative of the function.
4. Simplify the derivative as much as possible.

4. Can you give an example of a partial differentiation problem?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x,y) = x^2 + 3xy + y^2. To find the partial derivative of f with respect to x, we would treat y as a constant and use the power rule to get fx(x,y) = 2x + 3y. Similarly, the partial derivative of f with respect to y would be fy(x,y) = 3x + 2y.

5. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation (or just differentiation) finds the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, while partial differentiation finds the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. In other words, ordinary differentiation deals with functions of one variable, while partial differentiation deals with functions of multiple variables.