Partial derivatives, why is the fy this?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first partial derivatives of a function and the correct method to use, including the product rule and treating certain variables as constants.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone,i had a question..i have the following problem, I'm suppose to find the first partial derivatives:
f(x,y,z,t) = xyz^2*tan(yt);
I got all the partial derivaties right but the fy, they get:
fy = xyz^2*sec^2(yt);
when i do it, i get:
fy = xz^2*sec^2(yt)*t = txz^2*sec^2(yt);
Arn't u suppose to think x,z and t are all constants? if that's the case, when u use the chain rule inside the sec^2(yt), d/dt(yt) = t isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I actually don't agree with either of those answers.

If all the variables are independant, you have to consider x,z and t as constants when deriving with respect to y, that's correct. But you have to use the product rule as well, there's a y in "xyz^2" and again one in the tangent...

mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone,i had a question..i have the following problem, I'm suppose to find the first partial derivatives:
f(x,y,z,t) = xyz^2*tan(yt);
I got all the partial derivaties right but the fy, they get:
fy = xyz^2*sec^2(yt);
If f really is as you write it, that's clearly wrong.
when i do it, i get:
fy = xz^2*sec^2(yt)*t = txz^2*sec^2(yt);
But that's also clearly wrong!
Arn't u suppose to think x,z and t are all constants? if that's the case, when u use the chain rule inside the sec^2(yt), d/dt(yt) = t isn't it?
Yes, doing a partial derivative, you treat all other variables as constants. But in addition to using the chain rule, you also have to use the product rule!

fy= xz2tan(yt)+ txyz2sec2(yt)

Related to Partial derivatives, why is the fy this?

1. What are partial derivatives and why are they useful?

Partial derivatives are a type of mathematical operation used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while keeping all other variables constant. They are useful in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and statistics, as they allow us to analyze how a system changes when one of its variables is changed.

2. How do you find partial derivatives?

To find a partial derivative, you take the ordinary derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables, treating all other variables as constants. This means that you only need to focus on the variable you are differentiating with respect to and ignore the others. The result is a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function with respect to the chosen variable.

3. Why do we need to take partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are necessary because many real-world systems and functions have multiple variables that are interdependent. By taking partial derivatives, we can better understand how each variable affects the overall behavior of the system or function. This allows us to make predictions and optimize systems in a more precise and accurate manner.

4. What is the difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives?

The main difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives is that partial derivatives focus on the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while keeping all other variables constant. Ordinary derivatives, on the other hand, consider the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, without taking into account any other variables. In other words, partial derivatives are used for multivariable functions, while ordinary derivatives are used for single-variable functions.

5. How do partial derivatives relate to the concept of a gradient?

The concept of a gradient is closely related to partial derivatives. In fact, the gradient is a vector that contains the partial derivatives of a multivariable function. The direction of the gradient vector points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function, while the magnitude of the gradient represents the rate of change in that direction. Therefore, partial derivatives are used to calculate the gradient and determine the direction of maximum change in a function.