How can I solve for these partial derivatives given a set of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the second-order partial derivatives of the function u, using the chain rule. The suggested method is to define u(x,t) as a function of a scalar function f, and then use the equations E = x+ct and n = x-ct to find the derivatives of u with respect to x and t. It is noted that the notation in the equations may be struggling.
Boltzman Oscillation
Homework Statement
given the one dimensional wave equation and the two variables E and n, solve for:
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = 0$$
E = x + ct
n = x - ct
I am given the following:
$$u = (x,t)$$
$$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - c^2\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = 0$$
and
$$E = x + ct$$
$$n = x - ct$$
I need to solve for $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}$$ and $$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}$$
using the chain rule.How would I even begin? Would I have to say that:
$$ x = (E, t)$$
$$ x =(n, t)$$
thus
$$u(x,t) = u( x(E,t) , t)$$
and
$$ u(x,t) = u(x(n,t),t)$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is struggling here. Normally the idea with the wave equation is to let ##f## be any scalar function. And define:

##u(x, t) = f(E) = f(x + ct)##

Now, does this ##u(x, t)## satisfy the wave equation?

Related to How can I solve for these partial derivatives given a set of variables

1. How do I determine which variables to use when solving for partial derivatives?

The variables used in partial derivatives are typically determined by the function being differentiated. The variables in the function will be the ones used in the partial derivative. For example, if the function is f(x,y,z), then the partial derivatives will be with respect to x, y, and z.

2. Can I solve for partial derivatives using the chain rule?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to solve for partial derivatives. The chain rule states that the derivative of a function with respect to one variable can be found by multiplying the derivative of the function with respect to another variable by the derivative of that variable with respect to the original variable.

3. How do I know if a partial derivative exists?

A partial derivative exists if the function is continuous and differentiable with respect to the given variable. If a function is not continuous or differentiable at a certain point, then the partial derivative at that point does not exist.

4. Can I use the product rule to solve for partial derivatives?

Yes, the product rule can be used to solve for partial derivatives. The product rule states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

5. How do I handle constants when solving for partial derivatives?

When solving for partial derivatives, constants can be treated as any other variable. They can be factored out of the derivative or included in the derivative calculation depending on the specific problem. However, if the constant is not a part of the function being differentiated, it can be treated as a constant and left out of the derivative calculation.