Parametric Surfaces Homework Help

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the values of u<1,0,4> and v<1,-1,5> in order to express the surface in the form z = a + bx + cy. The textbook solution suggests using unit vectors to match the required form. The conversation also discusses using parameters u and v to find independent vectors to structure the plane.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2015-9-28_20-3-38.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-9-28_20-5-32.png

The Attempt at a Solution

so to start this off, I choose a random point, by setting u and v = 0

giving me the point (0,3,1) but I have no idea how what to do next.

how do I find ua and vb?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinking directly, ##a## and ##b## must be to vectors lying on the plane. Maybe you can set they start at ##r_0,## that is your ##(0,3,1)## and find any two independent vector to structure the plane.

tommyxu3 said:
Thinking directly, ##a## and ##b## must be to vectors lying on the plane. Maybe you can set they start at ##r_0,## that is your ##(0,3,1)## and find any two independent vector to structure the plane.
sorry, a bit confused. do I plug in more numbers for v and u?

##v## and ##u## then are parameter. Selected ##a## and ##b## will dominate the form of the plane.

goonking said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 89508

Homework Equations

View attachment 89509

The Attempt at a Solution

so to start this off, I choose a random point, by setting u and v = 0

giving me the point (0,3,1) but I have no idea how what to do next.

how do I find ua and vb?

If ##(x,y,z)## are the cartesian coordinates of a point on the surface, how do you express the values of ##x##, ##y## and ##z## in terms of the parameters ##u## and ##v##? Can you use those expressions to re-write the surface in the form ##z = a + b x + cy##?

Ray Vickson said:
If ##(x,y,z)## are the cartesian coordinates of a point on the surface, how do you express the values of ##x##, ##y## and ##z## in terms of the parameters ##u## and ##v##? Can you use those expressions to re-write the surface in the form ##z = a + b x + cy##?

how did you think of the form ##z = a + b x + cy##? does the surface have to be in that form?

goonking said:
how did you think of the form ##z = a + b x + cy##? does the surface have to be in that form?
anyway, the textbook came up with
upload_2015-9-28_20-3-38-png.89508.png
= <0,3,1> + u<1,0,4> + v<1,-1,5> and I have no idea how they came up with u<1,0,4> and v<1,-1,5>.

how are they coming up with vectors with just a given point?!

Last edited:
goonking said:
anyway, the textbook came up with
upload_2015-9-28_20-3-38-png.89508.png
= <0,3,1> + u<1,0,4> + v<1,-1,5> and I have no idea how they came up with u<1,0,4> and v<1,-1,5>.

how are they coming up with vectors with just a given point?!

What are ##\bf{i}, \bf{j}## and ##\bf{k}##?

Ray Vickson said:
What are ##\bf{i}, \bf{j}## and ##\bf{k}##?
i = <0,3,1>
j= u<1,0,4>
k=v<1,-1,5>

They are unit vectors on the three dimension instead of what you say. The solution makes it to the form to match the required.

Related to Parametric Surfaces Homework Help

1. What are parametric surfaces?

Parametric surfaces are mathematical objects that are defined by a set of equations, known as parametric equations, in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters help determine the shape and properties of the surface.

2. How are parametric surfaces different from regular surfaces?

Regular surfaces, also known as implicit surfaces, are defined by a single equation in terms of the coordinates x, y, and z. Parametric surfaces, on the other hand, are defined by a set of equations in terms of parameters, which allow for more flexibility in defining complex surfaces.

3. What is the purpose of studying parametric surfaces?

Parametric surfaces have many applications in fields such as computer graphics, animation, and engineering. They allow for more efficient and accurate modeling of complex shapes and can be used to represent curved surfaces that are difficult to describe using regular surfaces.

4. What are some common examples of parametric surfaces?

Some common examples of parametric surfaces include spheres, cones, tori, and helicoids. These surfaces can be defined using simple parametric equations and are often used in computer graphics and 3D modeling.

5. How can I graph and visualize parametric surfaces?

Parametric surfaces can be graphed and visualized using specialized software such as Mathematica, Matlab, or GeoGebra. These programs allow you to input the parametric equations and generate a visual representation of the surface, which can help with understanding its shape and properties.