Parametric Equation of Surface

In summary, the problem is asking for parametric equations for a cylinder with circular sections of radius 5, extending between the planes z=0 and z=1. The solution involves converting x and y to polar coordinates and using z as the varying parameter. The equation of the cylinder is x2 + y2 = 25.
Phil Frehz

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the portion of the cylinder x2 + y2 = 5 that extends between the planes z = 0 and z=1.

Homework Equations

I can't really find any connection but I do have
x=a*sinv*cosu
y=a*sinv*sinu
z=a*cosv

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that there is a cylinder of radius 5 between z=0 and z=1 however I don't understand how to translate it in terms of u & v. In polar coordinates I know r extends from the origin (r=0) to the cylindrical curve (r=1), while theta is from 0 to 2pi.

Attached is the solution, not sure how to connect the information together

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 4.53.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 4.53.46 PM.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
Phil Frehz said:

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the portion of the cylinder x2 + y2 = 5 that extends between the planes z = 0 and z=1.

Homework Equations

x=a*sinv*cosu
y=a*sinv*sinu
z=a*cosv

I understand that there is a cylinder of radius 5 between z=0 and z=1 however I don't understand how to translate it in terms of u & v. In polar coordinates I know r extends from the origin (r=0) to the cylindrical curve (r=1), while theta is from 0 to 2pi.

Just focusing on the circle in the x-y plane for the moment, think about how you would translate the circle's equation into polar coordinates. That should give you equations for x and y in terms of a parameter. The inequality for z is very simple, with v = z, but within a limited interval.

Likes Phil Frehz
Mark44 said:
Just focusing on the circle in the x-y plane for the moment, think about how you would translate the circle's equation into polar coordinates. That should give you equations for x and y in terms of a parameter. The inequality for z is very simple, with v = z, but within a limited interval.

Thanks for the input, I looked into it and found that v was the varying parameter, converting x and y to polar coordinates gave me the answer. Thanks again

Phil Frehz said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x=a*sinv*cosu
y=a*sinv*sinu
z=a*cosv

Is x2 + y2 = 5 the equation of a cylinder of radius = 5?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle

SteamKing said:
Is x2 + y2 = 5 the equation of a cylinder of radius = 5?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle

That's how the book stated the problem, I understood it as the cylinder created when the circle x2 + y2 = 5 is extended between z=0 and z=1

Phil Frehz said:
That's how the book stated the problem, I understood it as the cylinder created when the circle x2 + y2 = 5 is extended between z=0 and z=1
Since the sections thru the cylinder along the z-axis are circles, then the equation of the circle,
namely x2 + y2 = r2, must be satisfied.

If the radius of the circular sections of the cylinder is indeed r = 5, then what must the equation of the cylinder be?

Related to Parametric Equation of Surface

What is a parametric equation of surface?

A parametric equation of surface is a mathematical representation of a surface in three-dimensional space using two independent variables. It consists of three equations, one for each coordinate (x, y, and z), where each coordinate is expressed in terms of the two independent variables.

What are the advantages of using a parametric equation of surface?

Parametric equations of surface allow for more flexibility and control in representing complex shapes and surfaces. They also make it easier to manipulate and transform the surface mathematically.

How do you determine the shape of a surface using parametric equations?

The shape of a surface can be determined by analyzing the equations and their parameters. For example, if the equations contain trigonometric functions, the surface is likely to have curved or wavy elements.

Can parametric equations be used for all types of surfaces?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to represent all types of surfaces, including flat, curved, and even non-continuous surfaces. However, the complexity of the equations may vary depending on the type of surface being represented.

How are parametric equations of surface used in real-world applications?

Parametric equations of surface are used in various fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. They are particularly useful in modeling and simulating complex shapes and surfaces, such as in the design of cars or airplanes.