Panel Discussion on Communicating Science

In summary, the article discusses how Alan Alda, an actor and scientist, has suggested that all scientists should try improvisation in order to improve their communication skills.
@dlgoff and I attended a panel discussion at the WI Science Festival. @dlgoff found the video for it and I thought I'd formally share it because it was quite interesting and a very important topic. The general point is that scientists need social and speaking skills. Being able to effectively relay the importance of their research to the lay public is vital.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's safe to say that I'm able to convey scientific ideas with richer details (and some unneeded formality, unfortunately) online, but face-to-face, well that's a different story.:H

Thanks Greg, it was interesting and there were some good points in it that I found useful.
Actually I really love to talk about physics and explain things and I think I'm good at it, of course about things that I myself understand well.
Though I'm somehow in contrast with PWiz. Sometimes when I get into one of the threads here and read the question, I say to myself: wish this guy was here so I would explain it clearly. Because sometimes it feels I can convey more when I'm explaining things face-to-face.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I think that your contrasting opinion proves how diverse and global the physics forums community is, Shyan.

Shyan said:
Because sometimes it feels I can convey more when I'm explaining things face-to-face.
There is no doubt that conversing via text online can be difficult. However I have met plenty of people who are very good at explaining things online, but in person they are very ineffective.

Ease of discussion is also a function of the specific topic: Typing a decomposition of a vector without any graphical aid can be an exercise in precision use of language that depends heavily on the readers language skills; face to face, it's duck soup with a fingertip sketching in the air.

Likes davenn and dlgoff

Related to Panel Discussion on Communicating Science

1. What is a panel discussion on communicating science?

A panel discussion on communicating science is an event where a group of experts and scientists come together to discuss and exchange ideas on how to effectively communicate scientific information to the general public. This can include topics such as using clear language, engaging visuals, and effective storytelling techniques.

2. Who should attend a panel discussion on communicating science?

Anyone who is interested in learning how to effectively communicate scientific information can attend a panel discussion on communicating science. This can include scientists, educators, journalists, and the general public.

3. What are the benefits of attending a panel discussion on communicating science?

Attending a panel discussion on communicating science can provide valuable insights and strategies for effectively communicating complex scientific information to a non-expert audience. It can also help to bridge the communication gap between scientists and the public, leading to a better understanding and appreciation of scientific research.

4. How can I participate in a panel discussion on communicating science?

There are several ways to participate in a panel discussion on communicating science. You can attend as an audience member and ask questions during the Q&A session. You can also apply to be a panelist or moderator if you have expertise in the field of science communication.

5. How can I apply the information from a panel discussion on communicating science in my own work?

The information and strategies discussed in a panel discussion on communicating science can be applied in various ways, depending on your role and field of work. For example, scientists can use these techniques to effectively communicate their research to a wider audience, while educators can incorporate them into their teaching methods. Journalists can use these strategies to accurately and effectively report on scientific news. Ultimately, the goal is to make scientific information more accessible and engaging for the general public.