PA Budget - Killing the Library System

In summary, the state of Pennsylvania is facing potential budget cuts that could severely impact the state's library system. The Public Library Subsidy would see a 34% cut and the Library Access funding would be cut by 73%. This could result in local branches being shut down, reduced access to books and resources, and even library systems closing entirely. This has caused concern for those who rely on libraries for access to books and educational resources, as well as for the communities that may lose their local library. However, some argue that with the current state of the economy, cuts must be made and libraries should suffer with the rest of the state, with hopes that funding will be restored when the economy improves. Others believe that cutting funding for education
byronm
PA Budget - Killing the Library System :(

If you live in PA, what's your take of the potential killing of the state library system through massive budget cuts?

If you're not in PA, have your state budgets killed your public library system or are pushing to kill it?

Recent Budget updates for PA:

1. The Public Library Subsidy would be funded at $50 million, a 34% cut from the 2008-09 budget level of $75.7 million.

2. The now-combined Library Access funding (which includes POWER Library, Ask Here PA, the statewide library card, interlibrary delivery, and the Access Pennsylvania database) would total only $3 million, a cut of 73% from 2008-09’s combined total of $11.1 million.

What your take on this? For me, its sort of saddening. I use the libraries a LOT and i mean a LOT. I could never afford the books that i get through the library system.. everything from the expensive science books to periodical access and archival searches to expensive courses from the Teaching Corporation. For me the #2 item above is going to break my most pleasurable experience with the library system - the interlibrary loan where i can go online, request a book and be notified when its available for me and or delivered to my local branch. If #2 happens i forecast my local branch being shutdown entirely.. and that's sad because its built right next door to a great pre-school that often takes kids to the library as well.

such drastic cuts seem like a deathblow to me.. small communities will most certainly lose their local public libraries and often these small communities don't even have a local bookstore to supplement that loss.

i wrote my congress critters but I'm not expecting a miracle..

Physics news on Phys.org

I have only ever lived in fairly large cities and the libraries around here seem to most often be run mostly by the cities. Perhaps a good idea in your states case may be for the larger cities to take up the slack and spend more on their own libraries so there will be more state funding for libraries in smaller towns.

With the way the economy is right now, cuts have to be made. The library system can suffer with the rest of the state. When the economy is back up the funding will be there again.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I have only ever lived in fairly large cities and the libraries around here seem to most often be run mostly by the cities. Perhaps a good idea in your states case may be for the larger cities to take up the slack and spend more on their own libraries so there will be more state funding for libraries in smaller towns.

Philadelphia Public Libraries already stopped lending books and is shutting down entirely as of October 2nd right now.

My Local library system is already cutting back hours and has already laid off people and the local library system doesn't rely on state money entirely.

Oddly enough they're cutting the budgets so much they won't even get federal matching funds and that is 3-5 million in losses there. Seems excessive.

drankin said:
With the way the economy is right now, cuts have to be made. The library system can suffer with the rest of the state. When the economy is back up the funding will be there again.

I wish it were oh so simple, but History shows me otherwise... In fact, history often shows that during recessions its often the best time to USE libraries.. not limit them.

byronm said:
Philadelphia Public Libraries already stopped lending books and is shutting down entirely as of October 2nd right now.

My Local library system is already cutting back hours and has already laid off people and the local library system doesn't rely on state money entirely.

Oddly enough they're cutting the budgets so much they won't even get federal matching funds and that is 3-5 million in losses there. Seems excessive.

Wow, that's pretty bad. Cutting money to education and educational resources should be damn near the bottom of the list on where to make spending cuts in my opinion. Is it really that bad there? Maybe my state just approaches not having any money differently. Several people have already been taking the state to court for some of the cuts they have been making. No one is really willing to take any.

Related to PA Budget - Killing the Library System

1. What is the current budget situation for the Pennsylvania library system?

The current budget for the Pennsylvania library system is in a state of crisis. The proposed budget for the 2021 fiscal year includes a 40% cut in state funding for libraries, which equates to a loss of around $26 million.

2. How will these budget cuts affect the operation of libraries in Pennsylvania?

The budget cuts will have a significant impact on the operation of libraries in Pennsylvania. These cuts will result in reduced library hours, fewer resources, and possible closures of some libraries. This will greatly limit the access to essential services and resources that libraries provide to communities.

3. What is the reason for these proposed budget cuts?

The proposed budget cuts are due to the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The state is facing a significant budget deficit, and cuts to various programs and services, including libraries, are being considered to address this deficit.

4. How will these cuts affect library staff and their jobs?

The budget cuts will also have a detrimental effect on library staff. With reduced funding, many libraries will have to reduce their staff, resulting in job losses for librarians, support staff, and other employees. This will not only affect the individuals losing their jobs but also the communities who rely on their services.

5. Is there anything that can be done to prevent these budget cuts from happening?

There are efforts being made by library advocates and organizations to prevent these budget cuts from being implemented. These include advocating for increased state funding for libraries and raising awareness about the importance of libraries in communities. Individuals can also contact their local representatives and urge them to support funding for libraries in the state budget.