P-adic Expansion: Find $\frac{1}{2}$ in $\mathbb{Q}_3$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the French engineer Simon Stevin introduced the repeating decimal numbers as popular numerals to represent the rational numbers in applied math. He used a bracket to indicate an infinite number of digits repeating that bracketed value, and then used long arithmetic in base 3 to solve for the coefficients of the infinite series.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Wave)

I want to write the $p-$ adic expansion of the number $\frac{1}{2}$ in the field $\mathbb{Q}_3$.

How can I do this? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We've already gone through similar problems before, so I won't give out any hints. Recall the algebraic definition of $3$-adics.

mathbalarka said:
We've already gone through similar problems before, so I won't give out any hints. Recall the algebraic definition of $3$-adics.

That's what I have tried:

$ x=\frac{1}{2} \pmod 3 \Rightarrow 2x \equiv 1 \pmod 3 \Rightarrow x\equiv 2\pmod 3$
$ 2x \equiv 1 \pmod{3^2} \Rightarrow x \equiv 5 \pmod 9$
$2x \equiv 1 \pmod {3^3 } \Rightarrow x\equiv 14 \pmod{27}$
$2x \equiv 1 \pmod {3^4} \Rightarrow x \equiv 41 \pmod{3^4}$
$2x \equiv 1\pmod{3^5} \Rightarrow x \equiv 122 \pmod{3^5}$Using the formula $x_n=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} a_i 3^i $, I found that $a_0=2, a_1=1,a_2=1, a_3=1$.

Is there a formula, that we could use, in order to find the coefficients of the infinite series?
(Thinking)

Yes, there is a very generic solution to $2x = 1 \pmod{3^n}$. It's fundamental number theory stuff.

Again, I won't give out any hint. Try to solve it by yourself.

mathbalarka said:
Yes, there is a very generic solution to $2x = 1 \pmod{3^n}$. It's fundamental number theory stuff.

Again, I won't give out any hint. Try to solve it by yourself.

You mean that I have to use the formula $x=\frac{3^n+1}{2}$ ?

But.. isn't there also a theorem, that says the solution we find are periodic? Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

You mean that I have to use the formula ... ?

Yes.

But.. isn't there also a theorem, that says the solution we find are periodic? Or am I wrong?

Yes, prove it. You can always have theorems of your own, you know ;)

mathbalarka said:
Yes, prove it. You can always have theorems of your own, you know ;)

How could I do this? (Worried)

Well, you need to find coefficients $a_i$ in

$$\frac{1 + 3^n}{2} = \sum_{i = 0}^n a_i 3^i$$

How would you do that? Just a suggestion : I'd have used induction to prove that $a_0 = 2$ and $a_k = 1$ for all $k \geqslant 1$.

mathbalarka said:
Well, you need to find coefficients $a_i$ in

$$\frac{1 + 3^n}{2} = \sum_{i = 0}^n a_i 3^i$$

How would you do that? Just a suggestion : I'd have used induction to prove that $a_0 = 2$ and $a_k = 1$ for all $k \geqslant 1$.

So, we have seen that a solution of the congruence $2x_n \equiv 1 \pmod {3^n}$ is this: $x_n=\frac{1+3^n}{2}$.

Then, we conclude that: $\frac{1+3^n}{2}=2+\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} 3^i$.

But.. could you explain me why this: $2+\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} 3^i$ is then the power series of $\frac{1}{2}$ ? I am confused now... (Worried)

evinda said:
Hi! (Wave)

I want to write the $p-$ adic expansion of the number $\frac{1}{2}$ in the field $\mathbb{Q}_3$.

How can I do this? (Thinking)

Here is a different look at this problem. This should not be considered rigorous, but it provided me with some insights. As an engineer myself, I like an algebraic approach using digits. I will not use congruence, Hensel's Lema, nor any heavy lifting.

An french engineer, Simon Stevin of Bruges (1548 - 1620), introduced the repeating decimal numbers as popular numerals to represent the rational numbers in applied math.

Let's use base 3 Stevin style numerals to represent rationals, with a twist. A bracket is used to indicate an infinite number of digits repeating that bracketed value. In this discussion we will require a bracket on BOTH ends of the numeral. Our goal is zero within the bracket on the RHS of the number.
We will be using long arithmetic in base 3. Natural numbers without a sub-script are base 10.

STEP 1:
First, in STEP 1, let's begin with an observation that goes back to Euler (1707 – 1783) -- long before Hensel (1861 – 1941)
0 = [2].[2]3
because,
Multiplication by 3 only moves the point (.) one place to the left, leaving this number unchanged.
3 times [2].[2]3 = [2].[2]3
and if 3x = x, there are two solutions, x = infinite is one,
but it amused Euler to consider x=0, as will we.

STEP 2:
Notice that
[2].[2]3 = [2].[0]3 + [0].[2]3
and
[0].[2]3 = 1
therefore
[2].[0]3 = -1

STEP 3:
Dividing by 2
[1].[0]3 = -1/2

STEP 4:
Add 1
1 + [1].[0]3 = +1/2
[1]2.[0]3 = +1/2 done

It is fun to think how close Euler came to defining the rational p-adic form and considering the Cauchy Limit for p-adic digital numbers that are not truncated. If Newton's (1642 – 1727) work was known to Euler, he might have noticed that the Newton rational iterates for a polynomial zero (like x^2-2) will form a unique Cauchy sequence when you begin with a correct guess (the first digit) and then write the rational iterates in a p-adic form. Convergence of digits from right to left would have delighted him.

Last edited:
evinda said:
That's what I have tried:

Using the formula $x_n=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} a_i 3^i $, I found that $a_0=2, a_1=1,a_2=1, a_3=1$.

Is there a formula, that we could use, in order to find the coefficients of the infinite series?
(Thinking)

Once you believe that:
x = ...11111111123
You can use the same technique as for repeating decimals, but of course, in base 3
3x = ...111111111203
Subtracting:
3x-x = 13
2x =1
x = 1/2 VERIFIED

Related to P-adic Expansion: Find $\frac{1}{2}$ in $\mathbb{Q}_3$

What is P-adic Expansion?

P-adic expansion is a way of representing numbers in a base system that is based on a prime number, P. It is commonly used in number theory and has applications in other fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

What is $\mathbb{Q}_3$?

$\mathbb{Q}_3$ is the set of rational numbers that can be represented in base 3 using P-adic expansion. It includes numbers with terminating decimals, as well as repeating decimals.

How do you find $\frac{1}{2}$ in $\mathbb{Q}_3$?

To find $\frac{1}{2}$ in $\mathbb{Q}_3$, we use the P-adic expansion representation for rational numbers. In this case, $\frac{1}{2}$ in base 3 is represented as 0.111111... with an infinite string of 1's. This is because in P-adic expansion, division by a prime number results in a repeating decimal representation.

Why is $\frac{1}{2}$ represented as an infinite string of 1's in $\mathbb{Q}_3$?

In P-adic expansion, division by a prime number results in a repeating decimal representation. In the case of 3, the repeating pattern is 0.111111... with an infinite string of 1's. This is because division by 3 in base 3 results in a remainder of 1, which continues infinitely. Therefore, $\frac{1}{2}$ is represented as an infinite string of 1's in $\mathbb{Q}_3$.

How is P-adic expansion useful in number theory?

P-adic expansion allows for a different way of representing numbers, which can provide insights and solutions to problems in number theory. It also has applications in other fields such as cryptography and coding theory, where efficient and secure ways of representing numbers are important.