Outdoor electronics casing. Airflow, condensation & temp.?

In summary, the project is an casing for electronics that will be outside all year around. Built out of metal. The electronics inside works only in 0c-45c and 10%-80% humidity. The question is how well the fan will work as I don't have an air intake? If I stop it at +10c will the humidity go up in the box even if the heating is on?
TomJones
I have a similar question as others but I felt wrong taking over their threads.

The project is an casing for electronics that will be outside all year around. Built out of metal.
This means rain, sun, snow. -20c to +35c.
The electronics inside works only in 0c-45c and 10%-80% humidity.

I want my box to be airtight to not get any dust in.
I will have a pc fan in the back that sucks hor air out. But I don't want an intake due to dust and maintenance of filters.
  • The question here is how well the fan will work as I don't have an air intake?
I am working on a one way valve for the fan so that I can make if stop at +10c or something to keep the heat in.
  • If I stop it at +10c will the humidity go up in the box even if the heating is on?

Heater will go on and off depending on the outside temperature to not get condensation.

The casing could have two layers. First the box that is supposed to be airtight. Then a 3-5cm space abound the top and sides and then a metal cover over that. So its two layers with air in between.
  • Would this help against heat from direct sunlight?

Engineering news on Phys.org
TomJones said:
The question here is how well the fan will work as I don't have an air intake?
It won't work at all, no air in, no air out. You could have an airtight internal box with heat sinks to transfer the heat out of the circuitry box into another ventilating area around the airtight box.

Can you seal the enclosure and use it as a heatsink?

I guess you could have your extractor fan pumping air through a cooling device (small fridge etc), when cooling is desirable,
then the cooled air is refed back to your enclosure.
It's a closed system that way and so there should not be any dust to get picked up.

I don't understand why you are designing your own. A google search for "NEMA enclosure" returns 391000 results. Surely there must be one of those which satisfies your needs.

IP65 enclosures are commonly used in the UK to protect permanent electrical and electronic installations outdoors. That will give you dust proof and rain proof.

IP68 is dust proof but also submersible at pressure.

Personally I don't see any further precautions taken for condensation in outdoor installations. I would probably build a prototype and see how it got on before engineering anything to control that.

1. How do I ensure proper airflow in an outdoor electronics casing?

Airflow is crucial in outdoor electronics casing to prevent overheating and potential damage to the components. One way to ensure proper airflow is to incorporate vents or fans in the casing to allow hot air to escape and cool air to enter. Additionally, the positioning of the electronics within the casing can also affect airflow, so it is important to consider this when designing the casing.

2. What can I do to prevent condensation from forming inside the outdoor electronics casing?

Condensation can occur when there is a difference in temperature between the inside and outside of the casing. To prevent this, the casing should be designed to be airtight and insulated. Using materials with low thermal conductivity can also help reduce the temperature difference and minimize the chances of condensation forming. Additionally, incorporating a desiccant or dehumidifier inside the casing can also help absorb any excess moisture.

3. How do I maintain a consistent temperature inside the outdoor electronics casing?

The best way to maintain a consistent temperature inside the casing is by using a temperature control system, such as a thermostat or a cooling system. This will help regulate the temperature and prevent it from getting too hot or too cold. It is also important to consider the placement of the casing and avoid direct sunlight or extreme weather conditions that can affect the temperature inside.

4. Can I use regular electronics casing for outdoor use?

No, regular electronics casing is not suitable for outdoor use. Outdoor electronics casing should be specifically designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, such as rain, extreme temperatures, and UV rays. They should also be made of durable and waterproof materials to protect the electronics inside.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using outdoor electronics casing?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when using outdoor electronics casing. First, make sure to use proper insulation and grounding to prevent electrical hazards. Second, regularly check and maintain the casing to ensure it is still providing adequate protection for the electronics inside. Lastly, always follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for safe and proper use of the casing.