Condensation formation on Underside of roof

In summary, to calculate the amount of condensation formed on the underside of the roof, you need to first determine the U-value for heat transfer and then use that to calculate the heat loss and moisture formed per unit area per second.
AlexLudgate
Hello,

I am attempting to calculate the amount of condensation formation on the underside of a roof (steel sheet). moist air is on the underside of the roof, ambient air on the upper side

I know the following properties;

RH of moist air
Temperature of moist air, T1
Temperature of outside air, T2

I work out the heat transfer through unit area of the roof, Q=U(T1-T2)

I assume that all heat lost though the roof causes firstly enthalpy reduction of moist air to a point where it reaches 100% RH and past this point condensation of the moisture.

The amount of condensation formed is heat loss (past reaching 100% RH) (kW/m^2) divided by latent heat of vaporisation (kJ/kg), giving me moisture formed per unit area per second (kg/m^2.s)

also, condensate will only form if inside roof temperature is below that of moist air temp T1.

This assumes a lot of things - am i going wrong already?

My problem is in obtaining a good approximation of the U value for heat transfer through the roof.

I know that the basic formula for calculating the U value, which includes convection heat transfer through the film of air on the underside of the roof, conduction through the roof, and convection through the air film on the outside of the roof.

Should I also account for radiation? (average temps are T1 = 70C, T2 = 10C)

In working out the U value, I need heat transfer coefficents for the air films inside and outside.
I want to include forced convection due to air flow.

If there is a significant airflow of moist air under the roof (exhausting through windows in walls) then will this effect condensation formation?
Is there a relationship bewteen airflow and condensation? I know that With evaporation, an airflow will increase the rate of evaporation.

There is a lot of information here, some vague, and a lot of questions - feel free to pick up any of the points I have raised, I will be checking the forum regularly to add more details as you request it!
Thankyou for reading

Engineering news on Phys.org
.The first step to solving your problem is to calculate the U-value for the roof. To do this, you will need to consider the heat transfer through convection, conduction, and radiation. The convection and conduction will be from both the air films on the underside and outside of the roof. The radiation will depend on the temperatures of the moist air and outside air, which you have already noted. You will also need to consider the forced convection due to the airflow of the moist air under the roof. The relationship between the airflow and condensation formation is that the airflow will increase the rate of condensation formation, but only up to a certain point. Beyond that point, the rate of condensation formation will decrease.

Related to Condensation formation on Underside of roof

1. What causes condensation to form on the underside of a roof?

Condensation on the underside of a roof is caused by warm, moist air rising from the inside of a building and coming into contact with a cold surface, such as the underside of a roof. This causes the water vapor in the air to condense into liquid form, creating droplets on the roof.

2. Is condensation on the underside of a roof a problem?

Yes, condensation on the underside of a roof can be a problem as it can lead to water damage, mold growth, and decreased insulation effectiveness. It is important to address the underlying cause of the condensation in order to prevent further damage.

3. How can I prevent condensation from forming on the underside of my roof?

To prevent condensation on the underside of a roof, you can take steps to reduce the amount of warm, moist air in your building. This can include improving ventilation, using exhaust fans in areas with high moisture, and sealing any air leaks. Additionally, proper insulation can help regulate the temperature of the roof and prevent condensation from forming.

4. Can condensation on the underside of a roof be a sign of a larger issue?

In some cases, condensation on the underside of a roof can be a sign of a larger issue, such as a leak or inadequate insulation. It is important to address the condensation and determine the root cause in order to prevent further damage to the roof and the building.

5. How can I remove condensation from the underside of my roof?

If condensation has already formed on the underside of your roof, it is important to address it as soon as possible. You can use a dehumidifier or increase ventilation to help dry out the area. It is also important to fix any underlying issues, such as leaks or inadequate insulation, to prevent future condensation buildup.