Otto cycle mathematical model - Heat added by combustion?

In summary, the first method calculates a Qin heat added from the V*1/(R*FAR) equation. The second method calculates T4 from T3 + (HHVfuel * Mfuel).
Kozy
I am attempting to improve a spreadsheet I created back in uni some 5-6 years ago, which models all the velocities and accelerations of the pistons and rods, as well calculating pressure, temperature and resulting torque. It is only a simple model so far, originally it started simply by calculating the temperature and pressure prior to ignition, then had an input for pressure at ignition (P4) from which the PV through power stroke was then calculated.

I have dug this out of my hard drive and would like to update it, replacing the P4 input with a calculated value taking into account AFR and compression ratio. So far I am having some difficulty with the 'Qin' heat added portion of this.

I have two methods for calculating this and I am unsure which, if any is correct.

Version 1:

Qin = V*1/(R*FAR)

Where:
V= V1+V2
R = 8.314
AFR = 1/AFR

This gives me 45951 of undisclosed units, I suspect joules.

Ignition temperature is then:

T4 = T3+(Qin/Cv)

Where:
T3 = 770°K
Qin = 45951
Cv = 3R/2 =12.471

Which gives me 4455°K

This method results in a torque figure with a BMEP of 291psi, however a leaner AFR does result in a hotter ignition temperature which would appear to be correct.

The second method was a bit more simple:

T4 = T3 + (HHVfuel * Mfuel)

Where:
T3 = 770°K
HHVfuel = 47.3Mj/kg
Mfuel = Mair * FAR = 4.6e-5

This resulted in a T4 of 2935°K which produced a better torque figure (BMEP of 170psi), but which become hotter with a richer AFR, which does not appear to be correct.

Can someone point me in the right direction with this? I've been chasing my tail for a while and in the absence of any thermodynamics textbooks I've not been able to find a decent answer to my problem.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Currently in the process of adding Weiber functions into the model, hopefully that should give a more realistic result.

Related to Otto cycle mathematical model - Heat added by combustion?

1. What is the Otto cycle mathematical model?

The Otto cycle mathematical model is a thermodynamic model that describes the idealized process of a four-stroke internal combustion engine, where the fuel-air mixture undergoes a series of thermodynamic changes to produce work.

2. How is heat added by combustion in the Otto cycle calculated?

The heat added by combustion in the Otto cycle is calculated by using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In the case of the Otto cycle, the heat added is equal to the product of the mass of the fuel-air mixture, the specific heat at constant pressure, and the temperature increase during combustion.

3. What is the significance of the heat added by combustion in the Otto cycle?

The heat added by combustion is a crucial factor in the operation of an internal combustion engine. It is responsible for increasing the temperature and pressure of the fuel-air mixture, leading to the expansion of gases and the production of work.

4. How does the heat added by combustion affect the efficiency of the Otto cycle?

The efficiency of the Otto cycle is directly affected by the heat added by combustion. A higher heat added results in a higher temperature and pressure of the working fluid, leading to a more significant expansion and a higher work output. Therefore, the efficiency of the Otto cycle increases with an increase in the heat added by combustion.

5. What are the factors that influence the heat added by combustion in the Otto cycle?

The heat added by combustion is influenced by various factors, including the amount and type of fuel used, the air-fuel ratio, the compression ratio, and the engine speed. These factors determine the amount of heat released during combustion, which ultimately affects the performance of the engine.