Otto cycle combustion heat question

In summary, the data used to calculate the efficiency of an ideal Otto cycle does not seem to be entirely correct. The temperature of the combustion stage is apparently much higher than it should be based on the numbers used.
Saharka
I have been trying to determine the efficiency of an ideal Otto cycle based on the compression ratio of my car and the heat of combustion of gasoline and I think I'm not entierly wrong but there is something quite off. When trying to calculate the temperature of the combustion stage my result gives me the amazingly high temperature of 51,621kelvin which is obviously silly.
Here is the data I used:

I used the heat of combustion of gasoline, in this case 42,500 Kj as Qin.
662.385kelvin as the temperature of the previous stage of the cycle.
0.834 Kj/KgK as the sepecific heat of air.

So according to me the temperature should be given by the following equation:

Qin=CvΔT

So I need one of the temperatures so it becomes:

T3=(Qin/Cv)+T2

Which translates to:

T3=(42,500/0.834)+662.385

And finally:

T3= 51,161kelvin

I suspect that I'm using the wrong number for the specific heat of air but I'm not entierly sure, any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have ok numbers for air. The problem is that you only took into account part of the energy balance. You need to consider the enthalpy of formation for fuel and products, not just the fuel. Remember, you don't get those product bonds without an energy exchange.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still confused, I thought the heat of combustion already considered the enthalpy of formation of the products or am I missing the point?

Saharka said:
Thanks for the reply, but I'm still confused, I thought the heat of combustion already considered the enthalpy of formation of the products or am I missing the point?
Right.
But you are using 1 kg of gasoline, by combustion, to raise the temperature of 1 kg of air.
Would that be correct?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air–fuel_ratio

Ohhh right, should have been a duh, thanks.

So no I think the air fuel ratio is 14.7 I'll adjust for this thanks again.

Related to Otto cycle combustion heat question

1. What is the Otto cycle combustion heat?

The Otto cycle combustion heat refers to the amount of heat released during the combustion process in an Otto cycle engine, which is a type of internal combustion engine commonly used in automobiles. This heat is used to power the engine and ultimately move the vehicle.

2. How is the combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine calculated?

The combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine can be calculated using the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The heat released during combustion is a form of energy and can be calculated by subtracting the energy input from the energy output.

3. What factors affect the combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine?

The combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel used, the air-fuel ratio, the compression ratio, and the efficiency of the engine. Higher compression ratios and more efficient engines can result in higher combustion heat and better overall performance.

4. How does the combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine affect its performance?

The combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine plays a crucial role in its performance, as it is the main source of power for the engine. Higher combustion heat can result in more power and better acceleration, while lower combustion heat can lead to decreased performance and potential engine issues.

5. How is the combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine controlled?

The combustion heat in an Otto cycle engine is primarily controlled through the air-fuel ratio, which refers to the amount of air and fuel mixed before entering the combustion chamber. This ratio can be adjusted to optimize combustion and maximize the release of heat energy, resulting in better engine performance.