Oscillatory Motion | Causes and Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a damped, sinusoidally driven system and its electric-circuit analogs. The equation of motion can be broken down into the homogeneous and particular portions, with x(t) being the sum of the two solutions. The homogeneous solution represents the rate of decay, while the particular solution represents the steady state portion. It is noted that the homogeneous solution can often be ignored when calculating motion or current, as it becomes negligible after a certain point. However, the conversation also questions why the damping portion is not considered in the solutions, and whether the sinusoidal driving force continually competes with the damping force. The expert explains that the steady-state solution already accounts for the competition between the two forces and is
Starproj
Hi,

I have been working on the solution to a damped, sinusoidally driven system and their electric-circuit analogs. I can break the equation of motion into the homogeneous and particular portions, and understand that x(t) is the sum of the two solutions. I also understand that the homogeneous solution is the rate of decay and that the particular solution is the steady state portion. However, I can't resolve why the homogeneouos portion can be totally ignored when calculating motion or even the current. Even though it is decaying, isn't that part of the solution part of the reality of the system in question?

I am looking at Marion and Thornton "Classical Dynamics," 4th edition, sections 3.6 - 3.8.

I hope my question makes sense. I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have that book but I don't believe it says "the homogeneouos portion can be totally ignored"- that just isn't true. It is true that the "damping" part, the exponential with exponent a negative number times t, goes to 0 fairly rapidly. In looking at the "steady state" behavior, the behavior for large t, that term can be ignored.

Hi,

You're right. "Totally ignored" are my words. It just seems that as I look through the text and the sample problems, particularly those dealing with electric circuit analogs, there is no consideration of the damping portion.

I understand what you are saying about time being large. So once an electric circuit or even a physical system like a spring in a retarding fluid, is "activated," after a large amount of time the damping portion can be ignored? Isn't the sinusoidal driving force continually competing with the damping force?

I apologize if this is obvious and I'm just not seeing it.

No, you ask a good question.

The exponential decay is known as the transient solution, because it is only important for a little while. There is a point (usually, fairly early on) where it becomes neglible. The steady-state solution, however, continues to be important forever.

The forcing does compete with the damping, but that's already accounted for in the steady-state solution. The steady-state solution *is* the forcing with the damping.

Related to Oscillatory Motion | Causes and Effects

1. What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth repeatedly around a central equilibrium point. It can be seen in various systems such as pendulums, springs, and waves.

2. What causes oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is caused by a restoring force that acts on an object when it is displaced from its equilibrium position. This restoring force brings the object back towards its equilibrium point, resulting in repetitive back and forth motion.

3. What are some examples of oscillatory motion?

Some common examples of oscillatory motion include a swinging pendulum, a mass on a spring, and sound waves. Other examples include the motion of a simple pendulum, a guitar string, and the motion of atoms in a solid.

4. What are the effects of oscillatory motion?

The effects of oscillatory motion depend on the system in which it occurs. In mechanical systems, it can cause objects to vibrate, leading to wear and tear. In waves, it can transport energy and information. In quantum systems, it can lead to the emission and absorption of photons.

5. How is oscillatory motion related to simple harmonic motion?

Oscillatory motion is a general term that describes any type of repetitive back and forth motion. Simple harmonic motion is a specific type of oscillatory motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal or wave-like motion.