Exploring Oscillatory Motion of Two Connected Masses on a Frictionless Track

In summary, according to the homework solution, the first step is to define the Force equation as F = -k(x2 - x1 - deltaXe) where deltaXe is the equilibrium separation. x1 is the distance to the center of mass of m1 from some point to the left of m1. x2 is the distance from that point to the center of m2. So that x2-x1 equals the distance between the center of m1 and m2. The Attempt at a Solution states that the distance between the atoms at which the force on each atom is zero. Is the force repulsive (atoms are pushed apart) or attractive (atoms are pulled together) if their separation is
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

Two masses slide freely in a horizontal frictionless track and are connected by a Spring whose force constant is k. Fid the frequency of oscillatory motion for this system.

Homework Equations

My professor posted the solution but I am having trouble understanding everything that he did.
according to the solution, the first step is defining the Force equation as
F = -k(x2 - x1 - deltaXe) where deltaXe is the equilibrium separation. x1 is the distance to the center of mass of m1 from some point to the left of m1. x2 is the distance from that point to the center of m2. so that x2-x1 equals the distance between the center of m1 and m2.

The Attempt at a Solution

the distance between the atoms at which the force on each atom is zero. Is the force repulsive (atoms are pushed apart) or attractive (atoms are pulled together) if their separation is (b) smaller and (c) larger than the equilibrium separation
is this the distance between the two masses when the spring is neither compressed nor stretched? Wouldn't that just be x2-x1? so the the Force would be 0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
and then later on in the solution he takes says that dXe is equal to x2e - x1e (x2e = the distance of m2 from the center of the spring during equilibrium and likewise with x1e) shouldn't dXe = x2e + x1e ?

My professor posted the solution but I am having trouble understanding everything that he did
Doesn't look like a relevant equation to me. Don't you have a few things that look like

##m_1\ddot x_1 = - F_s##

##m_2\ddot x_2 = F_s##

## F_s = -k (x_2 - x_1 - \Delta x_{eq})##
so that we can do some mathematics on them ?

Because in that case we could easily derive

##m_1\ddot x_1 + m_2\ddot x_2 =0##

and concentrate on

##m_1 \ddot x_1 - m_2 \ddot x_2 + 2k( x_2 - x_1 - \Delta x_{eq})=0## ?

And perhaps the masses happen to be equal ? Saves work and yields a pleasant answer.

Then: In your attempt there is the sudden appearance of atoms that weren't there before. Please read what you wrote as if you were a helper trying to make sense of your post. I am one and I can't.

that third equation is the one. I figured out what it was. the origin was defined in the middle of the spring. So that x1 is negative. so it does turn out right.

Yes, you are correct. The equilibrium separation, or the distance at which the force on each atom is zero, is when the spring is neither compressed nor stretched. This would indeed be when x2-x1 is equal to the equilibrium separation, and the force would be 0.

As for the question of whether the force is repulsive or attractive for smaller and larger separations, it depends on the direction of the displacement (deltaXe). If deltaXe is positive (meaning the masses are pulled apart), then the force is repulsive. If deltaXe is negative (meaning the masses are pushed together), then the force is attractive. This is because the force equation is defined as F = -k(x2 - x1 - deltaXe), so a positive deltaXe would result in a positive force, and a negative deltaXe would result in a negative force.

Related to Exploring Oscillatory Motion of Two Connected Masses on a Frictionless Track

1. What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is a type of motion in which an object moves back and forth repeatedly around a central equilibrium point. This type of motion can be seen in various natural phenomena, such as the swinging of a pendulum or the vibration of a guitar string.

2. How are the two masses connected on the frictionless track?

The two masses are connected by a spring on the frictionless track. The spring provides a restoring force that causes the masses to oscillate back and forth.

3. What factors affect the oscillatory motion of the two connected masses?

The amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium), frequency (number of oscillations per unit time), and mass of the two connected masses all affect the oscillatory motion. The stiffness of the spring and the initial conditions (such as the initial displacement or velocity) also play a role.

4. How is the period of the oscillation calculated?

The period of the oscillation is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. It can be calculated by using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the total mass of the two connected masses, and k is the spring constant.

5. How does friction affect the oscillatory motion of the two connected masses?

In a frictionless system, the oscillatory motion will continue indefinitely. However, in real-world scenarios, friction will eventually cause the oscillations to dampen and come to a stop. The amount of friction present can affect the period and amplitude of the oscillation.