Orthogonality of cosine and sine functions

In summary, the cosine and sine functions are orthogonal to each other, meaning that their inner product is equal to zero. This is due to their perpendicular relationship in the unit circle, where the cosine represents the x-coordinate and the sine represents the y-coordinate. This property makes them useful in mathematical and engineering applications, such as signal processing and Fourier analysis. Additionally, the orthogonality of these functions allows for simplification and ease of calculation in various mathematical operations.
zheng89120
Can someone give a more intuitive explanation on how it is (if it is true), that;

all cos (nx) cos (mx) = 0 if n!=m

or

all sin (nx) sin (mx) = 0 if n!=m

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zheng89120 said:
Can someone give a more intuitive explanation on how it is (if it is true), that;

or

thanks

Do you mean "explanation" in the algebraic sense? Note that

0exp(ikx)dx=0

if and only if k≠0. If k=0 then the integrand is 1 and the integral is 2π.

Then to prove the orthogonality relations just substitute the exponential forms for sine and cosine, i.e. cos(nx)=(exp(inx)+exp(-inx))/2 etc. and the result falls out.

BBB

zheng89120 said:

or

thanks

Maybe you should graph a few of these curves against each other to get some intuitive graphical understanding of why these are the way they are.

In terms of algebra though, you just need a few applications of integration by parts.

If you want to understand the orthogonality and how it acts in situations like a filter, again use a mathematical package and use a few different filters: low-pass, high-pass, or some union of frequency domains. This should give you an intuitive idea of how the orthongality translates algebraicly to something that can be seen graphically.

You can also use trig identities.
cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b) and
cos(a- b)= cos(a)cos(b)+ sin(a)sin(b) so that

cos(a+ b)+ cos(a- b)= 2 cos(a)cos(b)

In particular, cos(mx)cos(nx)= (1/2)cos((n+m)x)+ (1/2)cos((n-m)x)

The integral of that will be, of course,
[tex]-\frac{1}{2(n+m)}sin((n+m)x)- \frac{1}{2(n- m)}sin((n-m)x)[/tex]
as long as [itex]n\ne m[/itex]. Integrating from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] (I don't understand your "all" in the integral) those will be 0. If m= n, we have, since cos(0)= 1, cos^2(nx)= cos(2nx)+ 1 and the integral is NOT 0.

Similarly, if we subtract cos(a+b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b) from cos(a- b)= cos(a)cos(b)+ sin(a)sin(b), we get 2sin(a)sin(b)= cos(a- b)- cos(a+ b).

So sin(mx)sin(nx)= (1/2)cos((m-n)x)- cos((m+n)x) and the same thing happens.

It is interesting that nobody has pointed out that the orthogonality depends on it being a definite integral and the interval over which the integral is taken.

There are good conceptual ways of seeing this, I think, without really doing any calculations.

Unfortunately, my grasp of these things is tenuous, and I am pressed for time these days, so I can only indicate a few lines of investigation in this direction. So, this will be a fairly crappy response, but it is the best I can do at the moment. I'd love to be able to explore this fully. The point is that there are answers to the original question.

I think there is a nice proof that involves some representation theory.

It is given somewhere in here, but I don't suppose you would want to read this paper (kind of heavy stuff):

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~street/CT90Como.pdf

I believe maybe this proof can be applied to the present case (by someone with more knowledge and time on their hands than myself).

Another theoretical argument that might work is that cos x and sin x are eigenvectors of a differentiation operator. So, this fact is analogous to the fact that the eigenvectors of a Hermitian matrix are orthogonal. Here's a little intro to that sort of thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_operator

So, that sometimes gives you a beautiful way to show that functions are orthogonal without calculating the integral that defines orthogonality. Although, I guess that integral is done indirectly when you prove that the operator is self-adjoint.

And there is a third explanation that I came up with myself when I was studying signal processing. If you take the convolution of the two functions, it vanishes. The orthogonality relations can be obtained as a special case of that. As it stands, the argument is sort of circular, but there's a reason why you would expect the convolution to be zero.

Convolution is what you do to find how a linear time invariant system will respond to a given input. You convolve the input with the impulse-response (which is the response when the input is a delta function). So you feed one sine wave into the system whose impulse reponse is a sine wave with a different frequency. If the system is linear and time invariant, you would expect the output to be a sine wave with the same frequency as the input. But convolution is actually a commutative operation, so you could switch the role of the input and impulse response and get the same result. So, I have argued that the output has one frequency one way and another frequency the other way. Contradiction. Only way out is for the output to be 0 (you're free to let the amplitude be 0), so you are done.

Related to Orthogonality of cosine and sine functions

1. What is the definition of orthogonality in cosine and sine functions?

Orthogonality in cosine and sine functions refers to the perpendicularity of the functions when graphed on a coordinate plane. This means that the curves of the cosine and sine functions intersect at right angles, forming a 90-degree angle.

2. Why are cosine and sine functions considered orthogonal?

Cosine and sine functions are considered orthogonal because their graphs are perpendicular to each other. This can be seen when graphing the two functions on a coordinate plane, where the curves intersect at right angles.

3. How is the orthogonality of cosine and sine functions useful in mathematics?

The orthogonality of cosine and sine functions is useful in mathematics because it allows for the decomposition of complex functions into simpler trigonometric functions. This can simplify calculations and make solving certain equations easier.

4. Can cosine and sine functions be non-orthogonal?

No, cosine and sine functions are always orthogonal to each other. This is a fundamental property of these trigonometric functions and cannot be changed.

5. How is the orthogonality of cosine and sine functions related to the concept of phase shift?

The orthogonality of cosine and sine functions is related to the concept of phase shift because the phase shift of a function can affect the perpendicularity of the curves. When there is a phase shift of 90 degrees, the curves of the cosine and sine functions will no longer be orthogonal.