Understanding Fourier Series: Solving a Problem with Sinusoidal Functions

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a function that is zero on one interval and has a sine function on another interval. The solution involves finding the coefficients $a_n$ and $b_n$ using an orthogonality property. However, there is a discussion about the applicability of this property and it is determined that it only applies for symmetric intervals around the x-axis. It is also mentioned that a full period from any starting point can also work.
ognik
Hi, appreciate some help with this FS problem - $f(t)= 0$ on $[-\pi, 0]$ and $f(t)=sin\omega t$ on $[0,\pi]$

I get $a_0=\frac{2}{\pi}$ and $b_1 = \frac{1}{2}$, which agree with the book; all other $b_n = 0$ because Sin(mx)Sin(nx) orthogonal for $m \ne n$

But $a_n =\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}Sin(\omega t) Cos (n \omega t) \,d\omega t $ - so this should also be 0 because the terms are orthogonal, but the book's answer has Cos terms in even powers of n?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ognik,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the orthogonality property applies here because intuitively speaking, you have an odd function that is evaluated at half the period, not the full period.

i.e Consider $\int_0^{\pi}\sin\left({x}\right)\cos\left({nx}\right) \,dx$. For $n=1$, it indeed evaluates to 0, but not for any other $n$.

I suggest that you integrate it directly, which is of the form $\int \sin\left({Ax}\right)\cos\left({Bx}\right) \,dx$.

Last edited:
Thanks - so does orthogonality only apply for a period of $2\pi$? Both $[0,2\pi]$ and $[-\pi, \pi]$ ?

Rido12 said:
I believe that it has to be symmetric about the x-axis, so any period such that $-L<x<L$. That means that $[0,2\pi]$ won't work, but $[-\pi, \pi]$ will work.

Hmm...my book uses $[0,2\pi]$ when talking about this orthogonality?

ognik said:
Hmm...my book uses $[0,2\pi]$ when talking about this orthogonality?

Hmm...I was talking in generality, but it does seem like it would work for $[0, 2\pi]$ in this case, my bad.
This is because $\sin Ax\cdot\cos Bx$ can be split into two individual sine terms, each of which evaluate to 0 if you integrate from $[0, \text{period}]$. (A complete sine oscillation has an equal positive and negative area which cancel)

For myself, thinking about it further, it seems that a full period from any start point would also work (so $[x_0, x_0+2\pi]$ - because the same length of curve(s) would be included in the interval regardless of where in the curve we start from.

Yep, that's also correct, as in any phase shift of the function.

Related to Understanding Fourier Series: Solving a Problem with Sinusoidal Functions

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It was developed by French mathematician Joseph Fourier in the early 19th century and has applications in a variety of fields, including signal processing, physics, and engineering.

2. How do you calculate a Fourier series?

To calculate a Fourier series, you need to first determine the period of the function you are analyzing. Then, using the Fourier series formula, you can find the coefficients for the sine and cosine terms in the series. These coefficients can then be used to express the function as a sum of sine and cosine functions.

3. What is the practical use of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many practical applications, such as in signal processing where they are used to analyze and filter signals. They are also used in image and sound compression, as well as in solving differential equations in physics and engineering problems.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used to represent periodic functions, while a Fourier transform is used to analyze non-periodic functions. In a Fourier series, the function is broken down into a sum of sine and cosine terms, while in a Fourier transform, the function is transformed into a continuous spectrum of frequencies.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series?

While Fourier series are a powerful tool, they do have limitations. They can only be used for functions that are periodic, and the series may not converge if the function has discontinuities or sharp corners. In addition, Fourier series can only be used for functions that are defined over a finite interval.