Organized way of setting up (introductory) physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses different organizational formats for solving physics problems. The speaker has tried using the "Known-Unknown-Equations" format and the "Variables-Components-Equations" format, but is looking for other recommendations. They suggest starting with a Free Body Diagram and listing knowns and unknowns before finding relevant equations. It is also recommended to delay plugging in numerical values and focus on symbolic solutions.
raddian
I did not post this on the homework forum because they required to use the template.

First, I have been using the "Known____Unknown______Equations" format; however, I feel this is not organized well enough for me. Then, I tried "Variables____Components_______________Equations" format. Do you guys have other very organized physics problems set-ups that you use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you post an example of an organization format that you prefer.

Stephen Tashi said:
I suggest you post an example of an organization format that you prefer.

In a loose leaf paper.
2u4husg.jpg

The first thing you should put on your paper is a Free Body Diagram; always. After that, write down knowns and unknowns. Then find relevant equations and start reasoning your way to a solution. The longer you wait to start plugging numbers in, the better. Symbolic solutions are more useful than numerical.

Likes 1 person

I understand the importance of organization in approaching any problem, especially in physics. It is crucial to have a systematic and structured approach in order to effectively solve a problem and arrive at accurate conclusions.

One method that I have found to be particularly effective is the "Given-Unknown-Relationship-Equation" format. This involves clearly identifying all the given information in the problem, determining what is unknown and needs to be solved for, establishing the relationship between the given and unknown variables, and then selecting the appropriate equation(s) to use in order to solve for the unknown.

Another approach that can be helpful is the "Strategy-Execution-Solution" format. This involves outlining a step-by-step strategy for solving the problem, executing each step carefully, and arriving at the final solution. This method can be especially useful for more complex problems that require multiple steps to reach the solution.

Ultimately, the most important aspect of setting up a physics problem is to find a format that works best for you and allows you to approach the problem in a clear and organized manner. I encourage you to explore different methods and find the one that helps you solve problems efficiently and accurately.

Related to Organized way of setting up (introductory) physics problem

1. What is the purpose of organizing a physics problem in an introductory way?

The purpose of organizing a physics problem in an introductory way is to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces. This allows for a better understanding of the problem and makes it easier to identify which principles and equations are relevant.

2. How do you approach organizing an introductory physics problem?

The first step in organizing an introductory physics problem is to clearly define the problem and what is being asked. Then, identify the known and unknown variables and any relevant equations. Next, determine which principles and concepts are necessary to solve the problem. Finally, organize the information in a logical and systematic way.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when organizing an introductory physics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when organizing an introductory physics problem include not clearly defining the problem, using incorrect or irrelevant equations, and not considering all relevant principles and concepts. It is also important to check the units and ensure they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. Can you provide an example of an organized introductory physics problem?

Sure, for example, a problem may ask you to calculate the speed of a car given its acceleration and time traveled. The known variables would be the acceleration (a) and time (t), and the unknown variable is the speed (v). Relevant equations would include v = at and a = Δv/Δt. Principles such as Newton's Second Law and the equation for acceleration (a = F/m) would also be relevant.

5. How does organizing an introductory physics problem help in the problem-solving process?

Organizing an introductory physics problem helps in the problem-solving process by providing a clear and structured approach. It allows you to break down the problem into smaller parts, making it easier to understand and solve. By identifying the known and unknown variables, relevant equations, and principles, you can apply the appropriate concepts and equations to arrive at the solution.