Optimizing Pasture Fencing: Min. Fencing Length & Area

In summary, the dairy farmer plans to fence in a rectangular pasture adjacent to a river. The pasture must contain 180,000 square meters in order to provide enough gas for the herd. If no fencing is needed along the river, the dimensions that would require the least amount of fencing are 2y + x = 180,000.
domyy

Homework Statement

A dairy farmer plans to fence in a rectangular pasture adjacent to a river. The pasture must contain 180,000 square meters in order to provide enough gas for the herd. What dimensions would require the least amount of fencing if no fencing is needed along the river?

Should I use 2y + x = 180,000 ?? Minimize A(x) = (x)(y)
I've also tried
4y + 4x = 180,000;
4y + 3x = 180,000;
4y + 2x = 180,000

I don't know what is going to work here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
domyy said:

Homework Statement

A dairy farmer plans to fence in a rectangular pasture adjacent to a river. The pasture must contain 180,000 square meters in order to provide enough gas for the herd. What dimensions would require the least amount of fencing if no fencing is needed along the river?

Should I use 2y + x = 180,000 ?? Minimize A(x) = (x)(y)
I've also tried
4y + 4x = 180,000;
4y + 3x = 180,000;
4y + 2x = 180,000

I don't know what is going to work here.

Don't guess; work it out carefully.

First: always draw a picture.

Now, assuming you have done that: what is x? What is y?

In terms of x and y, what is the length of fencing used? What is the area enclosed? Now, what are the problem conditions telling you?

In problems of this type you should NOT try to jump right away to the final formulation; you should proceed step-by-step.

x = L
y = W

I spent hours, at first, trying to calculate x for [ 4y +( 2x or 3x or 4x) = 180,000]. I thought 180,000 corresponded to the size of the rectangular farm and that I had to calculate the fence. Then, I reread it and realized 180,000 corresponded to the fence.

Now, since no fencing is needed along the river, I assume there will be only one x:

2y + x = 180,000

However, none of the equations I've mentioned so far lead me to the final answer. I've tried and I keep getting y = 45,000 or y=180,000.

Last edited:
domyy said:
I keep getting y = 45,000 or y=180,000.
What do you consider to be wrong with that?

My book says the answer is 600m x 300m. I was expecting to get to a point where I would find 600m and 300m individually.

I don't know what else is going to work here besides the equations I've already tried. I am probably not being able to visualize it.

Last edited:
Ah - ok. I presumed your equations were sort of reasonable, but they're not. You are not told the length of fencing is 180,000. You are told the area to be enclosed is 180,000. What is an expression for that in terms of x and y?

Thank you so much!
When you said "you are told the area to be enclosed is 180,000" made me think and i finally realized how to solve it.

Here it is:

p = 2y + x

a = (x)(y) = 180,000

now, from here i didn't have any problem. My issue is always with building the equations. Thanks !

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the minimum fencing length for my pasture?

The minimum fencing length for a pasture can be determined by calculating the perimeter of the pasture. This can be done by adding the length of each side of the pasture. For example, if your pasture is a square with each side measuring 100 feet, the minimum fencing length would be 400 feet.

2. What factors should be considered when determining the minimum fencing length for a pasture?

When determining the minimum fencing length for a pasture, factors such as the size of the pasture, the type of animals being kept, and the terrain of the land should be taken into consideration. Animals that are more likely to jump or climb fences may require taller fencing, and rough or uneven terrain may require additional fencing for stability.

3. Is there a standard minimum fencing length for all pastures?

There is no standard minimum fencing length for all pastures as it can vary depending on the size of the pasture and the needs of the animals being kept. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to have at least 4-5 feet of fencing per animal in the pasture.

4. How does the area of a pasture affect the minimum fencing length?

The area of a pasture can affect the minimum fencing length in that a larger pasture may require more fencing in order to properly enclose the area. However, the shape of the pasture can also play a role. A long, narrow pasture may require more fencing than a square or rectangular pasture of the same area.

5. Can I use electric fencing to optimize the minimum fencing length for my pasture?

Yes, electric fencing can be a useful tool in optimizing the minimum fencing length for a pasture. Electric fencing can be used as a temporary or permanent solution and can be a cost-effective option for larger pastures. However, it is important to ensure that the electric fencing is properly installed and maintained to ensure the safety of the animals and to prevent any escapes.