Optimization Problem/application of the derivative

In summary, a wire 6 meters long is cut into twelve pieces to form a box with a square base. The cuts should be made at 0.5 meters to maximize the volume and area of the box. The chain rule is used in finding the derivative of the functions representing the volume and area. It is important to consider the relationship between different dimensions in optimization problems.
Rayquesto

Homework Statement

A wire 6 meters long is cut into twelve pieces, eight of one length and four of another. These pieces are welded together at right angles to form the frame of a box with a square base.

a) Where should the cuts be made to maximize the volume of the box?
b) Where should the cuts be made to maximize the are of the box?

Homework Equations

The derivative in relation to volume and area.
Perimeter=6meters
Perimeter=8x+4y=6meters
x=(4y-6)/8
y=(6-8x)/4
A(x)=4xy + 2x^2
V(x)=x^2y
A'(x)=8x + 4y
V'(x)=2xy + x^2

where some 'x' and some 'y' are of some meters and less than 6 meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I understand that setting the derivative of a function equal to zero of a function can allow someone to find the maximum and minimum of that function which is very practical in many areas, however, I can't seem to find the solution to this problem. It appears that the solution doesn't exist, but I must be doing something wrong.

Here's what I did for a)

a)
since V'(x)=0 when volume is optimized, then
0=2xy + x^2
y=(6-8x)/4
0=(2x(6-8x)/4) + x^2
-x^2=(6x/2) - (4x^2)
3x^2=(6x/2)
x= 1 meter
oh I just solved it,
but if x=1meter, then y=((6-8(1))/4)meters=-1/2meters, but how is this quantity a negative? This is where I get stuck. I must be doing something wrong.

b)
since A'(x)=0 where area is optimized
0=8x + 4y
y=(6-8x)/4
8x=-4(6-8x)/4
32x=-24+32x
x=0? o.0? can someone show me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you mean on A' and V'? Anyway, your procedure is not correct. You can not ignore the derivative of y with respect to x.

Substitute y=(6-8x)/4 for y both in A and V, and find the derivative with respect to x.

ehild

Oh ok! BTW, you DO know what I mean by A' or V' since it represents the derivative, but I realize that it is not consistent with the chain rules involved by saying dy/dx, and so forth, but that's another thing I learned and thanks! here's the correction then:

V(x)=x^2(6-8x)/4
V(x)=(6x^2/4) - (8x^3/4)
V'(x)=(3x) - (6x^2)
0=(3x) - (6x^2)
x=.5meters

and if 6meters=8x + 4y
(6meters) - (4meters)=4y
y=.5meters

Volume=x^2y & V=(.5)^2(.5)m^3=.125m^3

OHHHH Ok, that makes a lot of sense now. At first, somewhere around my calculations, I came up with this on my paper, but I didn't trust it because it looked so small, but it makes sense now. That truly is the maximum volume achieved. Ok, so on to the next question.

b)

since A'(x)=0 where area is optimized
A(x)=4xy + 2x^2
y=(6-8x)/4
A(x)=4x(6-8x)/4 + 2x^2
A(x)=(24x-32x^2)/4 +(2x^2)
A(x)=6x - 8x^2 + 2x^2
A(x)=6x - 6x^2
A'(x)=6 - 12x
0=6-12x
x=.5 meters

y=(6-8(.5))/4
y=.5meters

Oh! ok got them both! Thanks my friend. Much MUCH appreciated. So, another thing I want to elaborate on is the idea of the chain rule and how it applies to these kind of problems. So, in rates of change, I noticed that we use Leibniz notation a lot, because of the chain rule and we could do the same with optimization problems. The only reason why we don't do that is because one dimension usually relates in some form to another dimension like in this problem. I love that you pointed that out. Makes me think more about what I'm doing. :) I have another question coming up on how you use the derivative of a function of theta to find the rate of theta at any given dimensional point. PLEASE stay tuned! :)

You are welcome. I watch your threads :smile:

ehild

Related to Optimization Problem/application of the derivative

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a given function. This means finding the best possible solution to a problem, given certain constraints or limitations.

2. How is the derivative used in optimization problems?

The derivative is used in optimization problems to find the critical points of a function, where the derivative is equal to zero. These points represent the potential maximum or minimum values of the function, and can be used to solve the optimization problem.

3. What are the steps for solving an optimization problem using the derivative?

The steps for solving an optimization problem using the derivative are:

• 1. Identify the objective function, which is the function that needs to be optimized.
  • 2. Identify any constraints or limitations on the problem.
  • 3. Find the derivative of the objective function.
  • 4. Set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the critical points.
  • 5. Test the critical points to determine if they are maximum or minimum values.
  • 6. Consider any constraints to determine the optimal solution.

4. Can optimization problems be solved without using the derivative?

Yes, optimization problems can be solved without using the derivative, but the process may be more complex and time-consuming. Other methods, such as using the first and second derivative tests or graphing the function, can also be used to solve optimization problems.

5. What are some real-life applications of optimization problems?

Optimization problems have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. Examples include finding the most efficient design for a bridge, maximizing profits for a company, or determining the trajectory of a rocket to minimize fuel usage. Essentially, any problem that involves finding the best solution within given constraints can be solved using optimization techniques.